View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #262
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory

Nov. 17, 2031

Greetings, hoops fans. Steve Victory here. Just got back from Alaska. Thought the plane was going to crash coming into Berkeley, but we made it safely. I have great news to report – we won the Alaska Challenge!! It made wearing parkas everywhere – while my bro, The Sheriff, went snorkeling in the warm waters of Hawaii – totally worth it. We knocked off New Mexico (78-58), seventh-ranked UConn (79-74) and 18th-ranked Indiana (84-70). A nice way to start the year…

Miran Lekivicius (“Leki”) earned all-tournament status, scoring 23 points in the opener and 20 against Indiana. PG Pat Matthew didn’t start but could very well land in the starting lineup after leading us in scoring vs. UConn with 16 points.

Here’s something cool. The Sheriff’s N.C. State team also won its tournament. They beat one of our rivals, UCLA, for the Hawaii crown. And get this, the pollsters have put the Wolfpack first in the rankings and us right behind them!! Now that’s something for the scrapbooks. Dad would be proud if he were still with us. Of course he might remind us that it’s only November…

We play our home opener this week against Notre Dame. And to think I nearly took a job with the Fighting Irish a few years ago. I’m glad I came to Cal… I remember what I told Berkeley fans at the first press conference. “I never in my life thought I would be coaching at Cal. But now that I’m here, I can’t think of anywhere else I’d rather be. Go Bears!” That was cheesy, but I still really feel that way… I miss State at times – the ACC is still the most storied conference in the land – but Cal has become home… Don’t worry, though Cal fans… No more job jumps for me. I’m a Bear until the end. Just when the end will be I’m not sure…
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote