View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #263
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory, Cal Basketball Coach

Nov. 19, 2031

Greetings, faithful readers. Or maybe that’s faithful reader. As you can imagine I get tons of e-mails asking me lots of important questions. Things like “Is Victory really your last name?” and “Is that hair of yours for real?”

I don’t get a chance to reply to all of them, but during this season I’m starting an “Ask Coach V” column to go along with my posts. So fire away. What do you want to know from the coach? I’ll do my best to answer. Please, keep it clean. This is a family program.

Here’s the question for this week:

Coach V, great start to the season so far. Just curious, with you being a basketball connoisseur and all, what’s your favorite hoops movie? I like Blue Chips myself – Shaq Fu from Boise, Idaho

Well Mr. Fu, thanks for writing. I’d have to say my all time favorite is the classic movie Hoosiers. No, not the sequel staring Kevin Costner nor the recent remake. The original with Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper. What hoops fan doesn’t love a story of the underdog winning a championship (kind of like my team at Alabama way back when)? And of course, for me the Dennis Hopper character reminds me a lot of my little brother. You know, when they’re not “on the sauce” they can be pretty good coaches…

I’m also a fan of documentary that came out a couple decades ago. It’s called The Story of Joe Thomas: Through the Eyes of a Player. (Author's Note: referencing a good TDCB dynasty that was popular in its day). It’s a dramatic true story of one player’s rise from high school prospect to college standout at New Mexico University. Some great real-life stuff, good storytelling and all-around solid story. They don’t win a championship, but it’s inspiring nonetheless. I show it to all my players before every season. I have to wonder, though, where is ol’ Joe Thomas now?

Yes, Victory is really my last name by the way. And yes, the hair is real. Though coaching is making it receed nicely.
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote