View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #269
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory, Cal Basketball Coach

Dec. 21, 2031

Greetings from sunny South Florida!! Ah, it’s Christmas time in my old hometown (still love the version of that old song by Kate Smith), and things couldn’t be merrier. I’ll be heading back to the Left Coast later tonight with the team, but we’re of good cheer right now, riding a six-game winning streak!

After trouncing Western Illinois, we knocked off Auburn (79-67), North Carolina (77-63) and New Hampshire (88-69) at home. Then we played two of our best games to date to sweep our road trip through Florida. First, the Gators went down 83-63. Then we blistered my alma mater, Miami, 90-54. I don’t think the alumni club will be too happy with me (“thanks for running up the score, you jerk”) but hey, the ‘Canes just couldn’t keep up. What am I to do?

Florida was ranked #19 in the nation when we beat them, so that was a nice triumph. Miami was just outside the rankings, holding a CRI of 16. Hats off to reserve PF Othella Williams. He scored 18 off the bench to lead us at Florida. All five of our starters reached double figures at Miami, with Leki scoring 20 and Crowell 18. Madic and Crowell combined for 29 rebounds. We blew the ‘Canes away, pardon the pun, in the paint all night!

This is a sweet way to launch into our conference schedule, which begins right after Christmas. We’re 12-1, ranked second in the nation and back in the groove confidence-wise. Arizona is number one right now, so that’s great for the conference. My little bro and his NCSU Wolfpack are also in the top five. A Merry Christmas for the family indeed.

On the recruiting front, we did need to dole out a second scholarship after all. Junior Sam Crowell opted to throw his name into the NBA draft list. Needing a point guard badly, we went after Cy Billet from Betonville, Arkansas. He may be a bit of project – our recruiting service has him listed at #125 in the nation – but he, too, has a nice upside. He may redshirt a year to allow his excellent potential to pay off for us down the road… Good thing I still have my connections in the South… Cal might soon have to realign itself into the SEC, though!

Until next time. Merry Christmas and remember Jesus is the Reason for the Season – and the only reason I’ve survived almost 30 years of coaching college basketball!
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote