View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #272
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory, Cal Basketball Coach

Feb. 16, 2032

It’s time for another edition of “Ask Coach V.” Here’s the latest query:

Coach, good job so far this season. Sorry to hear about Pat’s knee. Man, how come so many of your players get injured? I mean, it seems like every year you’ve got guys with bum knees, ruptured discs, broken skulls, even kidney disease. Do you think maybe you push your guys too hard? Just curious – A.C.L., Berkeley, Calif.

Thanks for writing, ACL. Nice initials by the way. Well, it’s like this. I do push the guys pretty hard, but not any harder than other coaches. I’ve hired the best trainer around. All the scouts consider him “excellent” at his job. So do I. But he’s not the one making hard cuts, banging hard in the paint or getting stepped on awkwardly during games. As Forrest Gump once said, “It happens.”

That’s why recruiting good players from top to bottom is so important. Fortunately, we’ve got Adam Dunn and even Scott Ward ready to fill in for Pat the rest of the season. It’s their chance to shine now, and how well we do the rest of the way depends on how much they want to step up… If you’re not sure who Forrest Gump is, by the way, just head to the movie store and peek in the Classics section...

aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote