View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #278
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory, Cal Basketball Coach

Sunday evening, March 7, 2032

Happy Selection Sunday to you hoops fans. I’m sitting here at my laptop around 9 p.m. Pacific time, and I’m wearing one of the Pac-10 championship nets around my neck (I think Leki has the other one. I’m not sure). I’ve got a “Cal Bears – Pac-10 Champs!” T-shirt on as well. Yes, folks, we did it! We won the first Pac-10 title in my tenure here with the Golden Bears.

Stanford battled us well, but we got ahead in the first half and stayed that way. Final score: 78-68 Bears. I’m a little concerned with how we handled their perimeter game – their guards netted 36 on us – but we sealed it at the line. Check out these numbers: 33-40 FTs. Leki and Bennett led us in scoring with 18 points each.

This is the first conference title for Cal since 2021 – 11 years ago. Believe it or not, in 29 years of coaching, I’ve only won four league tournament titles (one at Charleston, one at ‘Bama, one at State and now one at Cal). Hey, March Madness is a tough time. Anything can happen and usually does.

Our 32-3 record has already surpassed last year’s 31-win tally. We finish the conference season with a 19-2 record. What a season!

Of course, now we’ll set our sights on the ultimate prize. My boys and I would love to cut down the nets three weeks from now at the Final Four!! That would be my fourth national title. But as they say, we’re just going to take things one game at a time…

In other news regarding the family, my little bro Jeff Wilt, didn’t even coach today. His Wolfpack was upset by sixth-seeded Clemson in the ACC Tournament semifinals – I told you this was a wild time of year. Don’t worry, The Sheriff still likes how the NCT selection committee seeded his team. More on that later…

We’re going to enjoy this one tonight, then start getting ready for the Biggest Dance of them All!!!

Kept wishing us luck (and no injuries). So far, that’s working just fine…
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote