View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #290
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory, Cal Basketball Coach

Oct. 20, 2032

Greetings hoops fans!! Guess what’s just around the corner? Yes sir, the Cal Golden Bears are set to rev things up again. We’re coming off a great 36-4 season that included the school’s first visit to the Final Four in forever, and we have 11 players coming back – including three starters.

If you thought hopes were high last season, wait till you see all the preseason magazines this year… We’re plastered all over them, at least out here in the West, especially returning senior PG Pat Matthew and senior SF Scott Ward, who played in Miran Lekivicius’ shadow last year but is ready to break out and make a name for himself…

I heard from AzTarHeel last week, and he said he plans on extending his sabbatical from writing one more year. I guess I still owe him that after 28 consecutive years without a break (if you deserve a sabbatical for every seven years of work, then AZ may be entitled to take the next three seasons off)…

Anyway, realizing that I’m a better coach than writer I’ve decided to turn over the posting chores this season to one of my players. He’s a redshirt senior, actually the last holdout from the former coaching regime. He’s hard to miss standing at 7-1 – center Kyle Jacobson. He’ll be checking in from time to time as we go for a return trip to the Final Four. He told me he’d like to go into sports communications some day after graduation, so this is in a sense his first big assignment...

Kyle is a neat story really. He came to California pursuing a dream to play in the Pac-10. He wasn’t a blockbuster player for his Colorado high school and frankly scouting services weren’t too high on him at all. But former Cal coach Colon Dahl recruited him because of his size. Then Dahl was fired, and the Bears brought me in.

Since 7-footers aren’t really a part of my plans – I like a smaller and quicker lineups with hard-nosed 6-6 to 6-9 center types – I decided to redshirt him his freshman year. He was pretty discouraged and we talked quite a bit about him transferring to a smaller school where he could get more playing time. Finally, he decided to stay at Cal, even though for three seasons he basically languished at the end of the bench. He actually didn’t play a minute as a sophomore (mostly because he got into my doghouse for his attitude).

But Kyle finally turned around and kept working, kept putting in time in the gym and weight room. Now he’s poised to contribute in our rotation as a senior. He might very well even break into the starting lineup from time to time… I think you’ll enjoy Kyle. He’s grown up a lot, and has become like a son to me (even though I look up at him by several inches). He is hands down a team captain for us this season, along with Pat Matthew. Who knows, maybe Kyle will get the winning dunk in the NCT championship game… We all can dream, right?

Enjoy the season. Look forward to seeing you at the games the next few months. We’re sold out on most of them, but I think some single-game tickets are still available for some of them. Our goal – Atlanta, Ga. and the 2033 Final Four… Start looking for low plane fares now...

Yours,
Steve

PS: don’t ask about our family reunion this past summer in Charleston and please don’t press us about that beach volleyball incident. I mean, Sheriff Jeff, please. Have some self-control... I guess I can’t blame Daryl for not coming... At least Stephanie had fun... And met a boy. Some guy named Robert Something Winchester the Fifth. Kind of a quirky dude...
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote