View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #294
aztarheel
High School JV

From the laptop of Kyle Jacobson, Cal Basketball Player

Nov. 9, 2032

Yo, yo, Cal Bears fans! KJ here with the latest segment in the Coach Victory saga (he hasn’t complained about my work so far and I did get my shoes back from Adam!)

Well, we’re on the plane to Hawaii. We have a nice meal tonight after we land, practice tomorrow a couple of times, then have a tournament kickoff dinner and then start the season two nights from now against Nebraska.

My stomach’s churning just thinking about it. There is so much hype about us being among the NCT title contenders this season. It can be a circus sometimes, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Well, Coach V told me before we took off that I’m not going to be starting in our season opener. I had a hunch that was going to happen. Big O (Othella Williams) will get the starting nod at center instead of me, but Coach said I can expect to get some good playing time and not to get my head down about it.

I was pretty bummed when I heard the news, especially when some of the other guys told me that the assistant coaches had recommended that I start. But, I’ve just got to trust Coach, get better and win the spot outright. Plus, I’m just so glad to be a part of this team and this experience. When I’m not out there on the court, I’ll be cheering for Big O big time.

I’ve been perusing our Cal Basketball media guide on the flight. Here’s the stat sheet on me during my four years with the program so far. All-American credentials for sure (the picture is from my freshman year):

2028-29 – Redshirt
2029-30 – 31 games/4.5 minutes per game/0.5 points per game/0.5 rebounds per game
2030-31 – 0 games (my bad-attitude days – tough but I learned a lot)
2031-32 – 40 games/7 minutes per game/2 points per game/1.5 rebounds per game

I guess that’s why I’m the team writer this season…

My goals this season: play in all our games and average at least a double-double (10 points, 10 rebounds). I’d also like to make at least one three-pointer before I graduate. Ha! It’s brick city usually when I shoot from out there, though I did swish a few in practice the other day. I will hit one – you wait! I tried one last season against New Hampshire, and that clang could be heard for miles. Coach took me out of the game immediately. “You shoot from 10 feet and in,” he screamed. And it was only New Hamshire we were playing. The Cal student paper even wrote a funny editorial about my “quest” to hit a three.

Well, gotta go. They are passing out the food trays and we’ve got a movie after that. I’ll report back once we get to Hawaii! Go Bears!

Cheers.

KJ
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote