View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #297
aztarheel
High School JV

From the laptop of Kyle Jacobson, Cal Basketball Player

Friday, Nov. 12, 2032

Nebraska 60, California 59

Yes, folks, you are reading that score correctly. After all this hype about us to start the season, we’ve gone out and lost our season opener. To unranked Nebraska of all teams. Arrgggg.

It was an ugly game from the opening tip. Both teams were out of sync. We took 71 shots and made just 22. They took 58 and made just 16, including 5-of-25 from behind the arc. The real killer was free throw shooting. We kept fouling, and they kept making them (23-of-25). We only tried 12 shots from the line.

It was a nightmare to watch them storm the court afterwards and see all that Husker red. For a Colorado native like myself, I almost threw up. Many are calling it another example of the Sports Illustrated jinx. Just last week, we were on the cover of their college preview issue under the headline “Holy Cal! This is the Bears’ year to reach the Holy Grail of hoops.” Right now, we’re pretty blue instead of golden.

The worst part was that our Hawaii stay was done. Unlike the old days, once you lose in a preseason tournament, you’re done. No loser’s bracket or anything. I think that’s pretty silly. Now the much-anticipated Coach Victory-Coach Sheriff showdown will have to wait until February. N.C. State did win its opener, as did our Pac-10 rival UCLA. It will probably be the Pack and Bruins in the finals. Meanwhile, we’ll be home running wind sprints until we faint.

Coach Victory’s words haunted me the most.

“So that’s the way it’s going to be,” he kept saying to us afterward. “So that’s the way it’s going to be. We’re just going to be the most underachieving team of the year. We think because we’re on a magazine cover in November that we’re something special. Well, we’ll be lucky to make the NCT if we keep playing like we did against Nebraska.”

With that, Coach promptly ripped up the magazine and forbid any of us to post any magazine covers of any kind in the locker room until we straight things out. He also promised to put out a lot of trash cans at our next practice. Dang...

Of course, to the press Victory repeated all the party lines. “It’s still early.” “You’ve got to give Nebraska credit.” “They gave 110 percent” Etc. Good thing the reporters didn’t make it into our locker room.

As for me, I did manage to record a career high 10 rebounds in 23 minutes of play against Nebraska, and I had two blocks. But I was 1-of-9 in shooting… Just gotta get better. We all do.

Until next time, here's to running until you heave...

KJ

Last edited by aztarheel : 02-20-2007 at 05:00 PM.
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote