View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #300
aztarheel
High School JV

From the laptop of Kyle Jacobson, Cal Basketball Player

Dec. 15, 2032

Hello again, Cal fans. Sorry I haven’t written in awhile. It’s my final semester of classes (I technically graduate in December), and I’m trying to juggle my final projects and exams. On Dec. 18, I’ll be an official college graduate with a degree in communications (and a minor in sports medicine). Thank you. Thank you.

Basketball has been a bittersweet experience since I last posted. As a team, we are doing awesome. We haven’t lost, and except for the North Carolina game we’ve been creaming everyone. We’ve climbed back into the top-10 and folks are saying we look like national title contenders. The Nebraska loss is far behind us.

But on a personal note, hoops has been a struggle. I had high hopes of starting on this team, but I’m still in a reserve role and still just not playing as well I would like. It’s like I’m tentative on the court, especially when it comes to shooting. In practice, I have days when I dominate. But once the game starts, I tend to freeze. It’s frustrating. I expect more of myself.

Anyway, to catch you up we are now 8-1. Here are some scores with my performances in parenthesis.

11/27 – Won at Alabama 96-61 (I fouled out after only 13 minutes, scoring just 6 points – ugg)

12/2 – Beat North Carolina 64-61 (Just 2 points but 7 rebounds – a great game against a storied program)

12/5 – Crushed Albany 104-59. Would you believe they are ranked in the top 25? They probably won’t be after this week. We made them look awful. (Just 5 points in 17 minutes).

12/8 – Won at Rhode Island 87-68 (four fouls in six minutes, 0 points – my most frustrating outing maybe of my career; freshman Jovan Vitas took a lot of my normal minutes, which made me burn inside)

12/11 – Cruised at Cleveland State 104-52 (4 points and 5 rebounds)

We’ve got Notre Dame up next on the 17th. Maybe I’ll get my head on straight by then. Coach keeps reminding me that it’s a team game, and my role isn’t to score 30 points a night. It’s to get rebounds, play tough defense and hold my own while Big O (Othella Williams) and Big Mac (Peter Madic) rest up… Of course I wouldn’t trade this team experience for anything. Just hope I can contribute more in the future...

Till next time. Cheers.

KJ
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote