View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #69
revrew
Team Chaplain

"You were really more brilliant than you realize," Graves said over dinner that evening. "Your continued losses with the team cost Davis dearly."

"Don't think I don't recognize that ploy to flatter me--'more brilliant than you realize'" I said.

"You really don't trust me, do you?"

"Should I?"

"I asked you first."

I looked at Graves blankly. Then I snickered. The childlike bravado with which we just sparred was laughable. "I asked you first," he had said. What's was I supposed to say next? "Na-na-na-boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo"? My chuckle turned to a guffaw, and soon Graves and I were both laughing.

After a hearty laugh and wiping my tears away, I said, "How about this, you just tell me what you know without telling me how it's good, or what I'm supposed to do, or how I'm supposed to feel about it. You know, just the facts without the spin."

"Very well. When you took over the Rebels, Davis' cash flow had dried up. In fact, that's what you used to engineer your takeover. But afterwards, the Rebels continued to lose money, and at 48% ownership, Davis was responsible for those losses. On top of that, Jeffrey's falling out with the public cost him several clients. 3 months ago, Davis was facing bankruptcy."

"How do you know this, if you were fired?"

"I...still know some people on the inside. Davis can't work in a vacuum, and as it turns out, he can't work where I don't have ears, either."

"Remind me not to cross you."

"Yes, well, bankruptcy would have cost him the Rebels, but a quick sale of some of his 48% share would bring him back up to solvency in a heartbeat. 48% of a $600 million organization is a fair amount of change. The problem, however, was finding a quick buyer. The 'pure Southerner' fiasco scared away a lot of businessmen who might have otherwise considered a piece of the team. Davis needed the cash fast."

"I understand that position."

"Oh? Oh, I see. You're not quite backed to handle the Rebels' losses either. Well, Davis needed the money, but when he found a supplier, he was too proud to just hand over more of the Rebels. He decided instead to play a little game. A very dangerous game."
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote