View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #86
revrew
Team Chaplain

I punched in a number I had saved under a code name on my Rolodex. It rang five times before it was answered. "Yes?"

My answer was veiled, but clear: "I'm aware that the disappearance of a certain party has left your associates with less profit than was guaranteed. I'm aware that I share a responsibility in this loss of profit. I would like to offer two million and the whereabouts of the missing party in exchange for the opportunity to negotiate an acceptable payment plan. I am, sir, just a businessman, and I believe I can still conduct a profitable transaction with your associates. Please convey my offer."

"I shall." Click.

Two hours later, I had scheduled a meeting with certain unnamed members of a certain unnamed board governing certain unnamed corporations and familial enterprises. Certain unnamed businessmen were promised a gross profit of $280 million dollars, and, as of yet, they had received only a 10% stake in the Rebels. THe following is an account of how I managed to negotiate for my life:

"In our original transactions, I had guaranteed your operation a gross profit of $280 million for its $120 million in investment. The flight of Mr. Davis has left you without a significant portion of that investment. Shall I take it as understood that Mr. Davis' end of the transaction will not be completed as originally negotiated?"

"You shall," they said.

"Then, I presume, you hold me accountable, even as you hold him, for the loss of profits."

"We do."

"I can recover those profits for you without any additional investment on your part."

"You had better."

"Marinara Industries, Inc., currently owns 10% of the Rebels. The Rebels are valued at $881 million, which means you have $88 million of your $280 million already. The question is the remaining $198 million. I've just handed you a check for $2 mil, which brings us to $196 million."

"You can do math, I'll give you that."

"Upon written agreement of acceptable payment terms, I can immediately send you an additional check for $50 million. The remaining $146 mil, I can take care of, so long as I have...certain guarantees."

"Such as?"

"Simple things, like safety for my person, my businesses, my family and friends. I'm a businessman, sir. I like to keep my business transactions in the business world. I know you might conduct your business differenly, but I like to leave out...my family."

A smile cracked the lips of a certain unnamed board chairperson. "The terms, then," he said. "They're simple. As long as those $50 bills keep comin, we keep the Family out of it."

"$50 bills?" I asked. "Every...two years?"

"Every year, for three years."

"Um...that's not...exactly possible. I only own 39% now--"

"It's about as possible as us forgiving you and Davis for dragging our Family into your business."

The next day, I took my $75 million in cash, cut Marinara a check for $50 mil, (bringing my debt to $150 million), and turned on the evening news. A certain famous Southern personality and former NFL owner of some notoriety was killed in a freakish car accident that evening. Not that I'm saying Davis' demise was related to anything else discussed in this book. I'm not sayin'; I'm just sayin'.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote