View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The One Positive Thing Challenge (Warning: Mental Health issues discussed)

Most of you know that I've struggled with many different health issues over the years. Crohn's Disease, osteo and rhumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, irits, depression and anxiety.

At the beginning of this month, I was in one of the worst down periods I could ever remember. Let's put it this way, more than once I fell asleep and my last waking thought was "I hope I don't wake up."

I mean, I didn't even watch most of the Pats superbowl because of the depression/anxiety. That says a lot. I posted to some of my friends on facebook:

Hey. a couple of you have reached out to me, and seem to be worried by my short answers. I'm just not feeling well (mentally or physically), and it's not you guys, it's just that I am trying to avoid interaction. Be patient with me, K?

And my friends here, there and everywhere (some from FOFC, others nearby, family too) responded. They didn't try to fix me, or try to minimize my issues. They just provided support and someone to talk to when I was ready.

The next day, someone gave me a suggestion to help deal with the depression.

She called it the One Positive Thing Challenge.

For the rest of February, every single day I would have to post at least ONE positive thing that made me happy.. even if it came from something not so good.

It didn't have to be something huge,just something positive to hold on to through the day.

For example, the one on the Monday after the superbowl was about the fact that it was a warm enough day in New England that I was able to have my window open today for several hours. (Trust me, when your life is spent in a single room, well two if you combined the trips to the bathroom and the kitchen into a "room"), being all cooped up in winter SUCKS.

So, in this thread, I'm going to discuss some of the "One Positive Things" that I came up with, and some things that I've come across in the past month.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-28-2019 at 01:02 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote