View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #1477
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I cant argue with your personal opinion and preference, but just pointing out the obvious. You are saying you'd rather live in a Democaracy than a Democratic Republic, which is what this country is and has been since founding.

Even the name is 'the United States"...each state is a separate sovereign entity. They are united and bound together for the mutual benefit and protection alliance. That is the very flesh that our entire structure is founded upon.

Otherwise...we could just let New York and Chicago all vote to dump all their untreated waste into Wyoming. I mean no one needs to live there. Tell those cowboys to move into the city.

Agreed, as you point out, the reason why Congress is set up as it is, is to give each chamber a specific purpose. It also allows the larger states to dominate one, and the smaller states to dominate another.

The fact that the House was set up originally to draft bills gave the power of direction of legislation to the larger states, in theory, since they had more votes. The Senate had the power to slow things down to make sure the smaller states would not have issues shoved down their throat in the name of Utility (from Utilitarianism).

Another reason why I would never want to live in a pure Democracy, the minute people did not like you, or fear you, legislation could be drafted to strip you of everything you have, or even condemn you to death. It is the Republican form of government that slows things down and allows passions to cool rather than jumping from extreme to extreme.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote