View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #11
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

9 August 2014

Today is the opening day of the Southern League Division One Central season. It's time to introduce you to this year's Wantage Town team, although you already know the vast majority of them if you've been reading along.

These 15 players are the regular members of the first team. I'll bring up guys from the U21 and U18 squads as needed.

Chris Beesley was fantastic in goal for us last year, with 17 clean sheets in 38 appearances. He lacks the size one usually associates with the position, but he keeps the ball out of the net, and that's all that really matters. Brackley Town, a team all the way up in the Conference North, is apparently intereste in Chris. I hope his head isn't turned, and that he remains happy to wear our number one shirt.

The back line will remain the same, too, with Matty York, Matt Osman, Jonathan Booth, and Richard Ahern from left to right. Our defense was solid all season long, and these four men had a lot to do with it. We'll miss Ashley Bancroft, who filled in so capably whenever we needed him. Ahern will take over as the team's top penalty taker, another role Bancroft filled when he was on the pitch.

My new backroom staff isn't impressed with Andy Williams, and when I look at his attributes, I start to understand why. He's the team's captain, however, and he always seems to deliver the goods. I must have rejected 25 offers for Andy's services from other teams this summer, so perhaps it's my staff who are wrong about him.

Dominic Todd's departure left a hole on the right side of our midfield, and I wasn't sure that any of our young lads were ready to become full-time starters there--especially now that we've moved up a level. On Lee Sparkes' recommendation, I signed free agent Roy Porter. Roy possesses all the skills I'm looking for in a wide man, although he's a step slower than I'd like. I also signed Steve Baker, a versatile midfielder who doesn't demand a starting position or a high wage.

Ashley Lane and Joe Graham both return to the central midfield. Graham was much maligned by the Alfredians supporters, whom I think were being too harsh on him. Lee Parkin's roster spot will be filled by Max Westlake, who possesses a well-rounded skill set that will enable him to play either role in our tactic. I nearly signed Max last season when the injury bug bit us so badly, and I'm glad I have him in the team now.

Now, things become interesting. My new staff don't rate Tom Logan very highly. Perhaps they don't believe Tom will be able to score as prolifically, now that he's left the County Leagues behind. However, they seem to think Paul Douglas is the real deal. I'm inclined to think they're right, but I'm also more confident about Logan's ability to make the transition to the Southern League.

And then, there's Mick Hart, who has done nothing to make me believe he's not ready for prime time, and who my staff think is the best striker in the team. I can move Douglas back to the midfield and let him take the playmaker role, like I did when Lane was hurt last spring...but Ashley's healthy now, and he hasn't given me any reason to bench him, either. And, as you'll see, there's another very precocious young forward waiting in the wings.

It's a nice problem to have, at least until one of the lads starts complaining about why he's not playing all the time. Hart would probably be OK with a reserve role, but I want to make sure he gets the playing time he needs to develop into the star I believe he'll one day be.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote