View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #21
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

12 March 2016

We sorted things out very nicely during January and February, failing to pick up a point in only two matches since my last update. Weymouth have become our bogey team; they beat us home and away this year. Perhaps it's the presence of former Wantage man Tom Logan, who scored against us in his return to Alfredian Park.

I made two small tactical changes that seem to have helped. During my first season with the team, I added a fairly aggressive press to our 4-4-2. It worked well in the County Leagues and in Division One Central, where we were able to win the ball back by hassling our opponents into making lots of mistakes. We committed a truckload of fouls and drew more than our share of bookings, but who could argue with the results? Once we had possession, launching passes into space for our pacey front men to run onto worked again and again.

That strategy didn't work nearly as well in the Southern Premier. Opposing players are composed enough to keep their cool when we close down on them, and skilled enough to do something with the ball other than cough it up. As a result, we racked up the fouls and cards with much less to show for them. I took the Hassle Opponents instruction off, and almost immediately things began to improve. We still push higher up the pitch, compressing our opponent's space, our exemplary work rate enabling us to get back in time to stop other teams from launching through balls past our higher line. We've cut back on the naughty stuff so much that our side was praised by a reporter for our exceptionally clean disciplinary record.

I also added Work Ball Into Box to the offensive side of our tactic. I look for midfielders who can pass well, and their skill gives us another means of penetrating a defense besides "hit it long and let Mick Hart run it down."

My sincere apologies to those of you who don't want to read my attempts at a tactical treatise. Here's how we did on the pitch:

Hart has recovered his scoring touch, but the other forwards--Neil Pelling, John Nash, and loanee Nathan Thornton--have all joined in, too. And look at that hat trick from Matt Osman in our big victory away to Swindon Supermarine! He got the first two with his head, nodding in Dominic Hutchinson's corners. Later on, he did the honors from the penalty spot, and slammed it home.

The following Tuesday, Alfredian Park was a winter wonderland for our 2-1 result over Weston-super-Mare. Here's a shot of Richard Ahern lashing the yellow football past Seagulls 'keeper Ryan Phillips:

Our youth graduates came on board today. HOYD Luke Noble's Class of 2016 isn't as deep as our first two groups were, but it's still quite solid.

Kevin Lewis is the prize here. Thirteen of his attributes are in double figures, which is fantastic for this level. His Casual personality isn't ideal, but we have a number of good role models who can possibly tutor him. I envision Kevin as an all-action central midfielder. (He can also play center back, but he's going to have to grow a lot to be ideally suited there.)

I think Danny Harrop's future might lie on the left wing, because we have a good stable of teenaged strikers already. I already have Paul Douglas teaching him the tricks of the trade. '

Adam Bowra and Adam Shillito have more in common than their names. They're both solid prospects who might help fill out our back four one day.

Keep an eye on Paul Pike, too. I don't think I've ever gotten a youth player who is a full Model Professional.

Here's how the top of the table looks now:

With nine matches left on our schedule, the championship is ours to lose. We've already qualified for the Promotion Playoff, but anything can happen in a knockout competition. Let's grab another trophy.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote