View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

In Search of Glee: The Woeful Clippers' Climb To Greatness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBMuUcqhPc

Los Angeles Clippers' fans are eternal Beths, watching as their stars go and play elsewhere, thanks to a stingy, un-Sterlng owner. Left alone and seeing the Lakers win title after title, fan after fan.

Enter into this equation yours truly, to bring the Red and White to not only relevance, but championship greatness. All while dealing with Donald Sterling. Yeah.

That said there's some talent on this roster. Baron Davis can still bring it, Blake Griffin is the future, and Chris Kaman is better than I thought.

But I'm not wild about some of the other pieces, so it's time to hit phones.

Los Angeles Clippers receive
SF Nicolas Batum
PF Fabrico Oberto

Portland Trailblazers receive
SF Al-Farouq Aminu

What this means for the Clippers
Los Angeles and new GM Izulde Jestor wanted a more well-rounded SF, so they grab the French Batum to take over at the 3. Oberto was a tiny expiring thrown in to make salaries match.

What this means for the Trailblazers
Odd choice for a Portland team relying on veteran players to get with the less polished Aminu, but once he develops, the trio of Aminu/Lamarcus Aldridge/Greg Oden means opposing teams will find it very difficult to grab any rebounds.

Winner: Clippers
Los Angeles is doing its best to position itself as a playoff hopeful in a power-packed West, while still staying young. At just a year's difference between the two main players, they've done just that.

We'll try that and see how it goes.

Opening Night Lineup
PG Baron Davis
SG Eric Gordon
SF Nicolas Batum
PF Blake Griffin
C Chris Kaman

Fantastic opening night win over the Lakers, 106-99. Baron Davis goes off for 28 points and 10 assists, and Ryan Gomes and Craig Smith, who I have no idea who they are, score 15 and 11 bench points.

124-107 win over the Nuggets, keyed by Blake Griffin's 24 points and 9 rebounds, Eric Gordon's 27 points, Chris Kaman's 17 points and 10 rebounds, and 13 and 12 bench points from Rasaul Butler and Ryan Gomes.

Doubleheader = 112-88 loss to the Jazz next night. 10 points, 14 rebounds Chris Kaman our lone highlight in a bad performance.

Revenge is sweet in a 109-82 de-stringing of the Jazz a couple nights later. Eric Gordon lights up for 24 points, Craig Smith grabs 14 bench points and 8 bench points, and Rasaul Butler scores 10 second unit points of his own.

Blake Griffin beasts for 23 points and 13 rebounds and Baron Davis puts up 16 points and 10 assists as we stun the Lakers 90-88. If you'd told me before the season we'd beat our archrivals the first two times we played them, I'd have called you madder than a house of hatters.

All five starters scoring 11+ points, led by Blake Griffin's 17 points and 15 rebounds, Chris Kaman's 12 points, 14 rebounds, and Baron Davis's 18 points and 10 assists, and we're looking at a 114-101 win over the Rockets. Bonus points from Craig Smith (11) and Rasual Butler (10).

...Great. Baron Davis and Craig Smith are fighting. Let's nip this one in the bud.

Los Angeles Clippers receive
C Ronny Turiaf
New York Knicks 2011 2nd

New York Knicks receive
PF Craig Smith
Los Angeles Clippers 2011 2nd

What this means for the Clippers
A possible move up in the second round for a bigger, more ball-secure big in Turiaf is offset by his contract, which is nearly double that of Smith's, and includes a player option for $4.3 million next season.

What this means for the Knicks
Largely a financial move to get Smith's $2.3 million expiring.

Winner: Draw
Both teams had reasons to make the deal. We're also hearing a fight between Smith and Clippers' starting PG Baron Davis prompted the deal.

I'm shocked the Mavericks are 1-4, but they're 2-4 after beating us 104-93. 14 bench points for Rasual Butler, but we largely played like crap.

96-86 loss to the Kings. Ugh. 16 points and 10 rebounds off the bench for DeAndre Jordan and the team doctor pulls me aside after the game and presents me the following news, that Baron Davis has 10 day strained knee injury and Chris Kaman and Ronny Turiaf will be bothered by nagging injuries the next few days.

We snap the mini-losing streak 120-112 against Golden State. Blake Griffin is fantastic with 26 points, 17 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 3 steals. Chris Kaman scores 25 and Randy Foye doubles for 16 points and 10 assists in his first game as a starter. Ryan Gomes and Rasual Butler tacked on 13 and 11 bench points.

21 points, 9 rebounds for Chris Kaman in a gritty 115-112 win over the Spurs. Eric Gordon picked up a hip injury, so Rasual Butler starts and scores 19.

Despite two 14 point doubles with 10 and 15 respective rebounds from Blake Griffin and Chris Kaman, the Thunder trash us 94-74. Sigh.

We take out our anger on the 76ers, savaging them 125-92 in Baron Davis's first game back. Davis produces 21 points and 10 assists, Blake Griffin nets 21 points and 9 rebounds, and Eric Bledsoe scores 23 points in 13 minutes - 9 of 13, 5 of 6 from 3 point range. Wow! Unfortunately he also picked up a 9 day calf injury.

Expected 106-96 loss on the back end of a doubleheader to the Nets. 31 points for Eric Gordon, 15 points and 12 rebounds for Chris Kaman.

Wall-punch worthy 112-108 loss to the Hornets. 15 points, 13 assists for Baron Davis, 13 and 11 bench points courtesy of Randy Foye and Ryan Gomes.

Nice rebound, 95-90 over the Nuggets. All five starters in double-digit scoring, led by Chris Kaman's 15 points and 12 rebounds. Ryan Gomes headlines the reserves with 11 points.

At 9-6 tied with Golden State for second place in the Pacific, a game behind the Lakers.

It's a little depressing to be doing decently and yet having the feeling like I didn't do much to contribute to it. But maybe I have. Nicolas Batum is #3 on the +/- ON list at 2.9, and he has a 96.5% drive stop rate, with 0.9 PA/SF.

And yes, I made sure to save this time.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote