View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #20
Izulde
Head Coach

Summer League
Before the summer league, I picked up Stephen Curry's fourth year option and Eric Bledsoe's third and fourth year options.

Stephen Curry
Eric Bledsoe
Nicolas Batum
Eutor Taffarel
Timofey Mozgov

Five guys going to the Summer league and that could practically be our starting lineup right there.

126-83 rout of the Cavaliers to kick things off. Stephen Curry with 21 points, invitee Marc Gasol with 21 points and 12 rebounds, and Eric Bledsoe with 15 points, 8 assists and 0 turnovers off the bench. Eutor Taffarel looked great shooting the ball - 8 of 17 for 17 points.

Marc Gasol is fast establishing himself as our #1 target in free agency, posting 21 points and 11 rebounds in our 123-103 win over Orlando. Eutor Taffarel continues to justify me by going 9/15 for 21 points. Rudy Fernandez scores 17 bench points, Eric Bledsoe 11. Yes, we have 3 Spanish nationals on this summer league team.

Our first loss of the summer league goes via the 76ers, 112-99. Eutor Taffarel goes 7/10, 5/5 from 3 point range for 20 points and 3 blocks, holding his own against the far more celebrated Evan Turner, who scored 21. Eric Bledsoe was the only other player of note, scoring 11 bench points.

106-79 bounceback win over the Mavericks. Timofey Mozgov highlights the game and is our lone true statistical noteworthy guy with 20 points, 14 rebounds off the bench.

We close out the summer league with the closest game of the season, 96-88 win over Utah. Rudy Fernandez and Eric Bledsoe spark the team with 14 bench points and 12 points, 8 rebounds respectively for the second team. Oh and Timofey Mozgov with 10 bench points.

Damn impressive summer, but Stephen Curry worries me. He didn't take charge of the team like I thought he would and while he showed improvement in his floor general skills, I don't know if he'll ever be the type of starting PG I demand.

It's the 1.5 A/TO ratio in summer league that settles it. I have a specific target in mind, but I'm going to have wait until guys start signing in free agency to pull it off.

By the way, Eutor Taffarel's summer league stats - 15.8 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1 block, 0.8 steals, 1.8 A/TO ratio. The advanced metrics aren't tracked in summer league, which is a shame. I'd love to see his drive stop rate and PA/SF.

Free Agency
What a great time to need a big man. Some of the top bigs:

C Yao Ming
C Greg Oden
C Marc Gasol
C Kendrick Perkins
PF Zach Randolph
PF David West

On the other hand, it's a horrible free agency for point guards. Nobody who fits the Jestorball mold and the best available is Tony Parker.

I would dearly love Randolph, but we don't have the money for him. Greg Oden suffered three different injuries last year, including a broken toe, and I don't like his passing and handling.

So even though it's an overpay and even though Donald Sterling wants us below the cap, I throw every last dollar we have at Marc Gasol.

And we get him! 5 years, $77.5 million. I had better be right about this, because Sterling's screaming in my ear about the money and if we don't produce, I'm so fired.

While I'm doing some phone calls, I notice Chris Johnson tore his knee tendon and is out his entire rookie year. Bad deal.

Unfortunately, despite my repeated calls around the league, nobody is willing to take Ryan Gomes's contract with the player option he has. Sure he's a little overpaid, but it's only a two year contract and he's a decent player - just not suited to PF, which Vinny Del Negro keeps insisting on.

It's irritating, but I'll just see how the starting lineup plays out after training camp.

Getting back to free agency, the Orlando Magic grab Yi Jianlian for 4 years, $23.6 million. Must be trying to become a bigger player in China. On the same day, they re-sign Vince Carter to a 3 year, $27.8 million dollar deal with a player option. Oh, Orlando. How you'll regret that, I think.

Chicago steals Kendrick Perkins for 2 years, $11.8 million. Nice contract for the Bulls. A bunch of offer sheets come in that same day, but I'm stunned to see the Dallas Mavericks sign Tony Parker to a 4 year, $23.6 million deal. Sure, it has a team option, but where's the Baron Davis love?

Samuel Dalembert's crazy hair goes to the Celtics on a 1 year, $5.9 million, I think was. Perkins was better, but whatevs. Yao and Oden re-sign with their teams.

...HOLY ****! Oklahoma City signs Zach Randolph for 5 years, $68.2 million, or almost $10 million LESS than I signed Gasol for. My sad little consolation is that Z-Boobs will be 33 in the last year of that contract, and probably an albatross, while my Gasol bro will be 30 and still going strong.

In other big news, Washington gets Reggie Williams for 5 years, $29.5 million. I only notice or care because I hear some guy with the Raptors likes him.

Boston keeps loading up on old dudes, signing Peja Stojakovic to a 1 year deal.

Nice grab by Cleveland, getting Arron Afflalo for 2 years, $11.8 million. That's going to be a fun, scoring backcourt to watch with Mo Williams.

GOD DAMN IT, MINNESOTA! CURRY CAN EFFING PLAY SHOOTING GUARD! HE'S A BETTER SHOOTING GUARD THAN THE DUDE I'M TRADING FOR! STOP BEING ASSHOLES! I HATE YOU!!!!!

This is my head about to explode as teams continue to mock me. I'm about ready to throw my phone and my laptop at the wall.

So we start looking at backup options and hit on one.

Los Angeles Clippers receive
PG Jose Calderon
Toronto Raptors 2012 2nd round pick
Toronto Raptors 2013 2nd round pick
Toronto Raptors 2014 2nd round pick

Toronto Raptors receive
PG Raymond Felton

What this means for the Clippers
Although not a flashy passer, Calderon is one of the most ball secure point guards in the entire league. He's also a $9.7 million expiring and the Clippers get a boatload of high 2nd round draft picks.

What this means for the Raptors
Felton brings defense and defensive playmaking that the Raptors lacked. He's also more of a scoring threat than Calderon, which will help take some of the pressure off Andrea Bargnani. Signed for two more seasons.

Winner: Toronto
They get the best player in this deal and the Clippers are now over the cap, which will raise Donald Sterling's blood pressure even higher than it already is.

...Okay, I'm *this* close to snapping. Nobody ****ing wants Stephen Curry? Really? REALLY?

You've got to come close to matching the best thing in the deal

EXCUSE ME IF A 23 YEAR OLD 3.5/4.5 STAR POINT GUARD IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU! THAT'S 4.5! TRADING FOR 4.0 STAR BIG MEN!

23 year old star PG, first round pick, 3 high seconds and a 2 arrow overpay? More of the god damned same thing. If I wanted a Trade AI that was this much of an asshole, I'd go get raped in FOF instead. I've seen ripoff GMs in MP leagues that weren't this sadistic.

Just for the fun of it, I see if Golden State would do the tradeback with Curry and Louis Amundson for Blake Griffin. They do the not enough value thing a couple times, so I throw a couple seconds in.

Guess what?

You've got to come close to matching the best thing on our side of the deal if you want to make a trade.

*head snap*

I fire Vinny Del Negro, then hire myself, then fire myself. Jeff Van Gundy, who readers of a prior chronicle will recognize and who wanted to bring back to the pro leagues, is available, so I hire him as head coach. Doesn't change the lineup any but at least I have a coach I like.

I get a bottle of Mountain Dew: Pitch Black, the best soda ever and one that's finally back on the market (at Walgreen's) for a limited time after years of being off the shelves.

Take a drink, review the situation again, and I see a target I really liked who I completely missed before.

Los Angeles Clippers receive
PF Tiago Splitter
San Antonio Spurs 2014 1st round pick

San Antonio Spurs receive
PG Stephen Curry

What this means for the Clippers
The Red and White lacked a PF worthy of note all last season and they score a brilliant pickup here in getting last season's Rookie of the Year in Splitter. The Brazilian still has a ways to go on his development, but should become a shutdown frontcourt defender and a good, high % scorer in the fullness of time. Clippers GM Jestor is banking on the Spurs declining once Tim Duncan retires. This also means Jose Calderon, who is likely more suited to run the offense, takes over at point guard.

What this means for the Spurs
San Antonio now has a dangerous outside/inside combination with Curry and Duncan, and, even better for the Spurs, they'll now have time to develop DeJuan Blair, an undersized but tantalizing prospect who scouts are calling a 2nd round steal if he develops to his potentials. He'll start at PF. The real gamble here, of course, is that the first might blow up in the Spurs' face, but the former Davidson star makes an attractive franchise face for when Timmy D retires.

Winner: Draw
Both teams get major benefits out of this one, but the real winner might be Jestor's heart, as he was overheard swearing at opposing GMs during heated, prolonged trade negotations.

Tranquility after an apoplectic fit is one of the best feelings in the world. It really is.

Back to free agency.

Carl Landry goes to Memphis for 4 years, $26.1 million. Means Atlanta gave up their first for basically nothing last year. That first was Cameron Risinger, who the Kings stupidly turned into Speights, despite having drafted Ryan Hoiberg first overall. But it's not like the Grizzlies win, either. Don't even try telling me Landry comes close to Z-Boobs.

Andrei Kirlenko gets a 1 year, $5.9 mil. deal from the Hawks, speaking of Atlanta. Rudy Fernandez turned his solid play in summer league for us into a two year min-sal deal from the Jazz.

I belatedly realize we're $1.4 million over the cap and only have 12 players. Nobody wants any of my expiring contracts, even for a lousy 2nd round pick. We're even willing to pay 2nd rounders, but no one's budging.

So we go more over the cap, inking Dexter Pittman, the big boy, to a two year min-sal, and one of my favorite pro players of the modern era, Allen "The Answer" Iverson to a one year min-sal.

$3.4 million over the cap.

I may be fired at the end of the season.

Watch me not care.

Although if I can move Ronny Turiaf at some point during the year, we can squeeze under the cap.

Training Camp
Eutor Tarrafel looks to have slightly greater upside than his post-draft camp first look suggested, but nobody else really improved of the young guys, which is a little disappointing. We'll see how it goes during the year.

We're able to get back under the cap after training camp by trading Ronny Turiaf to the Pacers for a couple of second round picks, their 2013 and 2014 selections. I'll take that, especially since I want more playing time for Timofey Mozgov and Dexter Pittman, who I think are diamonds in the rough.

Donald Sterling is so happy about our getting back under the cap, he tells me my job is secure as long as I stick to that. ...Yeah, we'll see.

Preview
East
Miami Heat
Chicago Bulls
New York Knicks
New Jersey Nets
Milwaukee Bucks
West
Oklahoma City Thunder
Dallas Mavericks
Los Angeles Lakers
New Orleans Hornets
Golden State Warriors

In my mind there's a real dropoff between Miami/Chicago and the rest of the East. I'm going to be honest, I actually like the 76ers as the third team in the East. Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner is a great young backcourt, and Tyson Chandler is a very underrated center, who we forgot to bring back.

I absolutely agree with the Thunder #1 in the West. Jeff Green is a weak spot at C, but the rest of that lineup is awesome. Zach "Z-Boobs" Randolph will push them over the top. I'd actually consider the Hornets the #2 team, to be honest. We're slated 11th, but in my opinion, the West is wide open after OKC and New Orleans.

Although the Nuggets managed to win the title after Chauncey Billups tore his ACL, I agree Denver's not going to repeat and could in fact miss the playoffs. James Anderson at PG will kill them in the 140 days before Billups returns.

Los Angeles Clippers 2011 Opening Night Lineup
PG Jose Calderon
SG Eutor Taffarel (R)
SF Danny Granger
PF Tiago Splitter
C Marc Gasol
6th Nicolas Batum (SF)
7th Ryan Gomes (SF/PF)
8th Timofey Mozgov (SF/PF/C)
9th Eric Bledsoe (PG/SG/SF)
10th Allen Iverson (PG/SG)
11th Dexter Pittman (C)
12th Louis Amundson (PF/C)

I forgot Amundson was a UNLV alum, but it's always nice having a Runnin' Rebel at the team. I don't agree with Mozgov and Bledsoe at SF, but hopefullly they won't play there.

I feel like our team is much more talented and deeper than it was last season. Danny Granger, Marc Gasol and Tiago Splitter will power the offense most likely. I'm intrigued to see what Eutor Taffarel does.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote