General Manager

The Navigator (1924)

Directed by Donald Crisp and Buster Keaton
Starring: Buster Keaton, Kathryn McGuire
Length: 59 min
Genre: Comedy
Based On: Original Screenplay by Clyde Bruckman, Jean Havez and Joseph Mitchell

#81 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Laughs

Buster Keaton decides that it's time for him to wed, so he asks his neighbor played by Kathryn McGuire to marry him. She rejects him immediately and Keaton returns home. He decides to go to Hawaii anyway, the place he planned for their Honeymoon. He ends up boarding the wrong boat. The boat he does board just happens to be owned by his neighbor's father.

And it just so happens that this woman goes onto the ship to look for her father, who was kidnapped. Both wake up the next morning as the only two people on the ship, which had been sent adrift. For awhile, they can't find anyone or each other on the ship, but eventually find each other and must fend for themselves.

The scenes in which they are looking for others, and the ones in which they try and feed themselves, are hilarious. The two play rish, spoiled people and they pull off the inability to take care of themselves to perfection. Definitely my favorite Buster Keaton movie so far. Each one I watch seems better than the next, but much like Lloyd's recent entry on my journey, I knock the Historical rating down a notch due to other movies being rated much higher historically.

I simply can't get enough of Keaton's deadpan expression.

Entertainment Rating: 9/10
Historical Rating: 7/10

Last edited by sabotai : 12-16-2007 at 11:00 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote