View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

September

A big early-season clash in store for us on this FIFA International weekend that sees 4 of our players away on international duty.

Sept. 3, Match 7 @ #4 Barnet
Barnet are playing well above their heads in this, their first season back in the league structure since 2000/01.

Lee Whittington makes his first start at right wing today, while new acquisitions Lee Cousins and Simon Hagman are on the bench as subs. Former Posh striker Giuliani Grazioli gets the Bees off to a good start, scoring through a Dean Holden challenge in the 19th minute. We bring on both new acquisitions in the 2nd half, but are unable to get anything going against a stifling Barnet defense. We fall in London, and drop from the top 3.
Loss, 1-0, drop to 5th

A reporter approaches me after the game, asking about young Lee Whittington. No real need to single him out, no one played well in this one. I tell him not to judge him by one performance, that I feel he will be a good signing in time. I notice after this, that Whittington now “wants to repay the faith shown in him by the manager” or some such positive comment. Can’t destroy the lad’s fragile ego at 17, now can I?

Sept. 10, Match 8 v. #16 Boston Utd.
New signing Eero Peltonen is part of our strike force today. As if to underscore my positive effect on Whittington, he starts again at right wing, and the first highlight of the game is a brilliantly weighted ball into the box from 45 yards by Whittington for Benjamin… he pounces on it and scores past the Pilgrims’ keeper. 10 minutes later, Eero Peltonen gets a pass, swivels and beats his defender like a rented mule, then curls a classy shot around the keeper and inside the net. Top-quality finishing by the young Finn. We’re never really troubled by Boston Utd., and take a comfortable home win.
Win, 2-0, up to 2nd place

Lincoln City lose to Leyton Orient in a battle of the top 2, and we pass Lincoln into second place for the time being.

Danny Crow returns from injury to full training for the first time in nearly a month.

A positive start through the first month and a half of the season…I can only hope that we can keep it up, and get out of this league after just one season! I really think that we may well have the talent on the roster now to compete at the next level… we’re just one midfielder and defender away from complete domination of League Two.

Now, after that tirade, it must be time for the slump to hit us.