View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #12
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Draft

There are two top QBs who go off the board immediately. There's maybe the best safety prospect I've ever seen staring us in the face with the third pick. There's a tremendous looking guard there as well. I'm skeptical that we can actually make a top 5 pick work, or that we're not simply better served getting a good player later and still having a little space to do other things with. We decide to trade back, and we get a haul to move the 3rd pick. 2.9+2 future 1sts+another future 2nd from Chicago. We're really hoping the all-world guard gets to us at 1.13 and we can still add a major talent.

He doesn't get to us. G Anthony Fattel goes off the board at #8 to Chesapeake. We dabble with grabbing a good RB but talk ourselves into another trade. This time we just trade out completely. A 1st+2nd next year for 1.13 from North Plainfield. This feels like a slightly weaker draft and I'm not sure it makes sense to just add late round picks now that we've got a base of bodies. Eventually I think we'll have a better sense for who we are with a workable foundation of a good team. Then we can drop some of these first round talents on top and hopefully take off. These high picks are cap gobblers. Maybe it'll never be the best move for us.

So, what do we get...

Code:
Pick #35 Hanalei ILB Seth Thomas Pick #41 Hanalei DE Isaiah Jacobs Pick #67 Hanalei RB Glenn Scott Pick #99 Hanalei CB Donnie Young Pick #131 Hanalei S Alec Sexton Pick #163 Hanalei TE Justics Rawson Pick #195 Hanalei WR Clarence West

We go LB and DE with our two 2nds. We don't address the OL at all. I think this was a bad draft to be chasing an LT, and we kind of went where the board took us. There's some good talent here. And I can talk myself into LB Thomas at the top knowing we're losing Benson at the end of the season. We didn't really solve, or start down a path toward solving, the offense though. Next year might be the year where we just have to spend big draft capital on a couple of OL guys and make some progress.

All that said, I like a few of our gets here. The CB Young and S Sexton are likely immediate starters and we got them in the 5th and 6th rounds respectively. RB Glen Scott runs outside the tackles well and should complement our current starter Curtis well. DE Isaiah Jacobs is a run stopping DT waiting to bulk up. I liked the pick at the time but we need to do a better job of accepting we can fill certain roles almost as easily a little later and not burn a high 2nd.

Last edited by MalcPow : 04-11-2020 at 03:56 PM.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote