View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #32
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, forgive my bluntness. You want to try some things...

Are the key things you're fiddling with sort of invisible to us? Like, maybe, using players with certain skill sets, or whatnot? Or gameplan things?

Or, is this really just "play FOF and write it up a bit to while away the time" mode? Which is, of course, fine.

Just curious. Trying to set my expectations fairly.

Good questions. All of the above really. I wanted to sort of get into the career a tick. And I'm trying to thread some needle between capturing some of the quick picture data and not slowing down so much that I'm not even getting through seasons.

We tried really hard to do some kind of heavy running gameplan for one season. I'm not sure I learned anything other than I probably need more talent, and running-focused talent, to push that in the right direction. I see guys with the monster passing attacks pretty clearly managing their target workloads and mixing a lot of different guys through formations. Sometimes their best couple of WRs aren't even getting starts. I think we're a little light on the depth to really bite down there, but I'm watching it closely. I'm probably more dialed into the kind of target distribution I expect from exact spots in the depth chart than I've ever been because of it. Tying that to some kind of route running and endurance combo to optimize workload seems to be where that goes.

Some other things I kind of want to see play out a little. We're playing guys out of position a little on defense. We're running a couple reverses each game with an RB in a WR slot. I'm not sure these are value add yet. I think I'm probably in some kind of "play the game and try to make interesting observations" mode. I'm hoping that having a little runway of these roster snapshots and my rantings will make any trends or responses to tweaks easier to see.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote