View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #34
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

FA2/Camp

QB Buddy Weber is holding out. CB Shane Owens too. We'll be at 53 guys when we sign our longsnapper, with about $1m to spare. We need to do something to address the fact that LB Devan Henry is apparently pissing off half the defense as a leader.

DE Boone has gone from holding out a year ago to willing to take a paycut this year. I guess a full year of missing starts will do that. We kept him out of the main early down depth spots when he came back last year. Mostly out of spite, but there's a helpful side effect now apparently. It's a legitimate question whether we want to save $3m and pay him $4m-ish/yr or save his full $7/8m-ish going forward. We also tweaked him back into the starting lineup during our playoff run last year, so maybe he's the secret sauce.

QB Weber is making $1.6m in the last year of his deal. He wants to be making $13m/yr basically. I don't think that's an unreasonable place for us to eventually get to with our QB if we want to sustain anything. I just don't really see it being with him. I think we have to cross our fingers that he ends the holdout before Week 1. We're in trouble otherwise.

We could make this work by moving on from DE Boone (75/75) and G Doug Shepard (60/60) right now. They're both moving in the wrong direction in some underlying indicators like endurance. Shepard is in his 10th season and should be willing to take a little paycut but isn't. We already lost our good C this offseason. This would thin us out quite a bit, even if it's almost an inevitable move a year from now. I think I'd do it if this felt like a "Buddy Weber" career, but it doesn't. We'll chase glory with some other mediocre QB soon enough.

I'm not even talking about CB Owens. A former 6th rounder who's been a multi-year starter and great kick returner. We might do some weird stuff to keep him after the season. He's got a little more affection-factor in his favor.

We end up extending Boone to save enough money to bring in a veteran defensive front leader. We're left with just enough to extend LB Thomas on a 4 yr deal in the $6m/yr range, who's probably going to play a big pass rushing role for us going forward.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote