View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #50
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

FA1/Draft

There are two non-stud QBs that I like a little bit in this draft. They're both affinity fits. (Yeah, I said it.) One is the 5th highest quarterback grade and the other is the 8th. We're going to get one or both of these guys. They look like just the kind of 45-rated losers we can dust up into champions with some dance and voice lessons.

Weber can mentor or something. One more year of Weber? We lost our O-Coordinator this offseason. So we're moving from a really poorly cast Smashmouth setup to the Balanced attack of our new OC Deandre Hopkins. (Correct.) I'm convinced almost anything is possible with Deandre. Strides on the O-Line will help as well.

It's a weird side effect of signing our longsnapper to the monster cap hit contract each year, but we're a perennial bottom 3 team in the staff draft. Our stadium situation also isn't that great, so profitability is pretty marginal even in these last few successful years. Hopkins is solid as an OC, with good development bars. But he's not a stud with everything you'd want.

Code:
Pick #30 Hanalei WR Graham Pollinger Pick #62 Hanalei WR Manuel Woodcock Pick #94 Hanalei T Glen Horner Pick #126 Hanalei QB Dominic Ellis Pick #158 Hanalei CB Jerry Borders Pick #190 Hanalei DT Donald Mincy Pick #222 Hanalei WR Jamie Riley

This draft ends up feeling like an old school SP draft. We remade the receiving corps in about three minutes here. T Glen Horner is going to be good as well. Both QBs we had targeted are still there at the end of the 4th. We planned to nab both of them, but the other guy, QB Derek Sanford, goes in front of us in the 5th to Williamsburg. Sanford looks to be the more polished passer.

The guy we got, Dominic Ellis, ran a 4.48, has a big scramble bar, and looks like he'll just be fun to see what happens with in this offense. I don't see big bars in his future, but his combines and the big scramble bar jumped out. He'll either bring a completely different element to what we're doing or sink us with a million fumbles.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote