View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #213
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Ahhh...this whole time I thought you were referring to 2:1 raw numbers. Guess my #3 junior should build up some service a bit more now. :P

I could be wrong about this. I don't think I am, I think it's the best way, but I'm the only manager with top players in any of the worlds I've seen who 'tilts' his players towards skill this much. Most of them stop at 5.0 or a bit higher in skill and then work on service. This does give them some more aces, but they're not as effective on return. Iglar for example is 5.0/4.1, the current #1 in rr2, Andres Ulson, is 5.2/4.1, and in rr11 it's Daniel Wira at 5.0/4.3. When my guys are at 5.3/3.9, they don't have the serve these players have, but they are better from a rally standpoint. Even the record-setting oprice in my world doesn't train his players the way I do, and frankly it's the only significant difference between us because he's a near-perfect manager strategically in all other aspects from what I've seen.

In my experience, you just don't get enough free points(aces) to convince me that it's better to go that way. Over a long 5-set match even it's maybe a half-dozen points more you get from that, and the better returning from my players at least neutralizes that from what I've seen. It's also just plain logical -- skill is used on all points, but service on only half(the ones you are serving for, obviously), which is where the idea comes from. I just think it's good to throw out the caveat since all the other elite managers don't do it. I'm bucking the trend here so to speak -- but I think the trend is a little bit suboptimal .
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote