View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'll also give you a few of my personal favorites that don't make normal tops lists, in case you are looking for something different:

Read D'Shai, by Joel Rosenberg. He creates an Asian inspired fantasy-world, a unique take on Magic, and more. But the prologue is enough. After I read that amazing prologue I was done. Oh, and all of his books are shorter, you can read D'Shai with little investment of time. And the sequel, The Hour of the Octopus is great too. It's also interesting as a political intrigue fantasy series written before a certain Martin popularized it.

Another recommendation is by Michael Moorcock called The War Hound and the World's Pain. Written in 1981, it's not really fantasy in a traditional sense. Basically, during the 30 years war, the main character discovers he's lost his soul, and has to undertake a quest for the Holy Grail for Lucifer to restore it. It's amazing and downright Dante-esque at times. Again, not sure if you'd call it a typical fantasy, but it's awesome.

A third I'd make is Three Hearts and Three Lions, by Poul Anderson. It's a good pre-Moorcock Law/Chaos book, and very influential on Gygaz and through him, us. (The paladin class is lifted,d almost whole cloth, from it - Gygax mentions it';s impact on teh game and himself in the DMG itself.) I'd join Gygax in his recommendation of it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 06-19-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote