View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
If you think GRRM isn't the best writer out there, in terms of like prose and such, then I'm not sure why you have Weis and Hickman on the next post I think Dragons of Autumn-Spring is fine, and you can include the Twins trilogy as well. Both good stuff. I also like the Darksword Trilogy they did outside of TSR. The giant seven book Death Gate cycle is solid stuff too, although it gets weaker at the end, inmho. But still, Weis and Hickman aren't exactly the world's greatest word crafters, you know?

There's a huge difference, though - Weis and Hickman nail the 3 Cs - Crisp, Clean, Clear - in their prose style, which gives it a pleasant mouthfeel. GRRM is total sludge and leaves a horrible taste. In terms of the actual ideas and worldbuilding, it's great, but the style is so damn putrid I keep wishing a competent stylist had written it. Which is also why the TV series and Telltale Games are so much better than the source novels - the shittiness of GRRM's prose goes away (Cue ISiqquidi jumping in to disagree with me )

I loved the Darksword Trilogy. Simpkin is one of my favorite characters ever.

The Moonshae Trilogy is one I also really enjoyed In fact, everything I've read by Douglas Niles I've at least liked. See, when I read fantasy novels, I'm looking for 1) good story, 2) memorable characters, and 3) the 3 Cs in prose style, which is an indicator of competence, as I don't expect great writing in the genre. If I *do* come across it, so much the better.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote