View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #23
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It's so hard (really impossible) for me to rank this kind of thing - beyond Lord of the Rings as #1 anyway.

Just some I would add to a list that haven't already been mentioned.

The Black Company by Glen Cook. I am a huge fan of Cook in anything (his Garrett PI books, which are comedic fantasy, are a lot of fun) but the Black Company series is amazing and the idea of following a mercenary unit is a pretty unique one as far as I know.

Deryni series by Katherine Kurtz - pretty much my favorite books as a teenager, also the first I read where the author would kill off main characters fairly frequently. Based on medieval England but with some characters the Deryni who have psionic powers. Lots of plotting and scheming.

Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander - young adult series from the 60s based on Welsh mythology. Ignore the movie the Black Cauldron they made about this and just read the books.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote