View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #241
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

First I should recommend taking a look at the game's documentation. Some things are answered there. There's a lot of information on various things here and in other threads, so it can be hard to find specific information certainly.

1. Practice weeks. Skipping a week entirely means you will lose out on experience. The only reason to do that is if your fatigue is super-high. At less than 15 or more than 30 form, you lose 0.1 skill and 0.1 service from your playing ability per point of form outside that range. Even worse, you also don't gain as much experience; that penalty gets worse the further you are outside the range. So there's basically only rare situations where it is justifiable to have less than 15 or more than 30 form.

2. Aging factor you have nailed; the range is 95-105%. Lower is better for longevity; faster will improve early development, making for better juniors players, etc. Age % is different though the two are easy to confuse. That's your current level of aging. That means you would currently have 79% of your max. strength and speed, are only using 79% of your skill + service, and so on(doubles, talent, etc. are unaffected). Endurance is a special case as it gets multiplied twice: current endurance is the maximum * 0.79 * 0.79, or whatever your current age % is.

3. General rule of them I use is to play the highest-levle tournament that I'm confident of being seeded in. It's not helpful to play a tournament that you will lose in early - that means less matches and xp that week, and less weeks off for practice before the next one. In juniors, I usually wait until a player has won 4-5 events at a particular level before moving up. This 'maxes out' their ranking and ensures they are ready for the next step.

4. You won't play any differently due to playing in both brackets, but you will have form and fatigue go up faster. This is a good thing unless you are a successful pro in roughly the Top 50, at which point maximizing your form for best results in big events will become more important. Before that though, there's really no drawback to playing both and you get more matches and xp that way.

5. There isn't any way to know how many xp they have saved up. Using the 'raw' numbers from the Use Experience screen, NOT the tennis ball reading which shows your current ability including age %, the trainer formula is as follows:

** Skill +
** 75% of Service +
** 33% of Doubles

All of that is divided by 2.3 to get your trainer's ability. Divide again by 20 to get the 'tennis ball' rating, instead of the 100-point scale. It's worth taking the time to get a trainer at least 5.0. You can actually go above that(I've seen 5.2 or 5.3) but it's pretty rare and I've never had one that high yet so I don't know how much a performance boost you get. The best trainer candidates are usually mid-late 30s guys.

6. I would look at my player rating formula not far back in this thread for a guide. You don't want to invest in doubles at all unless you want to be a doubles player. If you want to do well in singles you need to focus on that instead. As far as skill/service, skill is almost twice as important(since service is only used when you are serving, skill is used on all points), so in general you want to train skill unless the points required are almost twice as much as service. I have started experimenting with training both equally until a new player has about 1.0 or so in service, since at first they will have a ton of double-faults otherwhise. I think the jury's still out on whether that's a good idea, it certainly isn't a necessity.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote