View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #193
hoopsguy
General Manager

Interesting, USC is a two point favorite at the Rose Bowl. Spread makes sense in light of records/stats but I suspect they are still considerably more talented than us.

We currently possess the top-rated defense in the land, surrendering only 300.2 yards per game. The offense still checks in at #14 despite our QB problems. With Burford and Edwards healthy today we may be able to approach that level of performance.

That is due, in part, to USC having the #66 defense in the nation. It was much worse before their shellacking of ASU. There are no issues with their offense, however. #6 in the nation.

OFFENSE:
Ken Gurode is listed as the starter, although it isn't clear who gets the snaps between him and LaShaun Sharpe. Both are seniors and both are very good.

I can't take any responsibility for the USC halfbacks, as both were brought in since I left. SO Solomon VanWagner is the starter. He was the #2 RB in his class and #10 overall. He sat the bench last year behind Vereb and Neil, but still collected 444 yards in spot duty. In his first year as a starter he has run for 1216 yards and 10 TDs. Big back (230), durable (98), with acceleration to tie for (99). He is backed up by FR Jerry King. King toyed with the idea of playing for UCLA before inking on with his childhood team. Also the #2 back in his class, he was #4 overall. He has run for 760 yards as a backup - much more than Dawson has seen in our attack.

The WR ranks have been devastated by graduation. The only guy left that we inked is Bill Phillips. His patience during his first two years has been rewarded, as the Trojan QBs rely heavily on him. 60 catches, 948 yards, 8 TDs. I'm not sure he is good enough to go pro, but I would be just fine if he decided to go that route. They also have a good group of TEs.

The offensive line is anchored by SR Andre Gilbert. 4 year starter, one of the best in college football. These guys are not dominant, but they are probably as good as anyone we've seen on our schedule.

DEFENSE:
I see a lot of talent here, but it hasn't matured just yet. The current starters are holdovers from my regime. JR DT Marc Burks is a two year startrer. He had 10 sacks last year but his numbers have fallen off this season. DE Andre Hendricks is a four year starter who is consistent but not dominant.

The linebackers have a rock in SR Dave Thomas (not the hamburger guy). He has started the last two seasons and looks like a guy who will go late 1st/early 2nd. Great tackler (99), good coverage skills (88), the guy is a chameleon who will fit into any scheme. All of their starters can run like the win and deliver a pop.

The secondary has fallen on hard times. CB Derek Stewart has had a great year with 7 interceptions and the ability to take a ball back (2 TDs) but he doesn't have much help. Sr Mike Peek is a 3 year starter but hasn't lived up to his hype coming in. Safety Joe Williams is another guy that hasn't been able to take the next step and at SS it appears they are running auditions even now.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote