View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #1011
molson
General Manager

NEWS

-Carlos Colon defeated Scott Irwin to win the WWC Universal Heavyweight Championship for the 3rd time

-Lance Russell won a magazine award for "Best Announcer in Wrestling Today". His contract is up soon, hopefully I'll be able to still afford him.

-Dusty Wolfe, who has been a huge bargain for me at $75/show, gets a hell of a raise and signs for 3 more months at $325/show. Wolf has still never won a match in WCCW (he's 0-50-3), but he has shown himself to be a decent enough jobber, somehow managing a B+ match with Ricky Morton, and C+ matches with Dory Funk Jr, El Halcon, and Bobby Eaton.

-Wahoo McDaniel and Harley Race defeated Buddy Roberts & Michael Hayes for the AWA World Tag Team Titles.

-Owen Hart signs for another 9 months at $550/show, a modest raise from his old deal of $500/show. This is probably his last contract with us before I cut him loose, as I can't imagine paying him more than that. Hart is still only 20 years old, but has been with WCCW for almost 18 months. He has a record of 13-76-4 in that time.

-"Pretty Boy" Doug Somers also resigns for another 9 months, earning a hefty raise from $575/show to $825/show. He probably deserves that, his tag team with Steve Olsonoski has been pretty good.

-Then things start to get tricker. Nikita Koloff signs for 9 more months at $1,700/show, a substantial raise from $1,325/show. Koloff earned this contract with his amazing match with Antonio Inoki at Parade of Champions, but this is definitely the max I'm willing to pay him relative to what he brings to the table at this point. He has 9 months to prove himself as a borderline main eventer at least.

-I have real doubts about whether I'll be able to sign Kamala to another short-term, 3 month deal, but we come to terms at $2,300/show, a raise from his old $2,174/show deal. He also gets 10% of his merchandise sales. I will use him relatively sparingly at that cost.

-Ricky Morton, Buddy Roberts, and Don Bass complain about their push. Roberts will be gone after June Star Wars. I've set Morton as a babyface midcarder, when my booking team thinks he should be a main eventer. I guess that's based on his recent success in the AWA, where he's held that promotion's Light Heavyweight Championship. He also works for ACW.

-I am just BARELY able to hang out to Lance Russell for another 9 months at a ridiculous $2,600/show - he's our 2nd most expensive worker after Antonio Inoki. Fritz had blocked my earlier offer of $2,650, so I'm very lucky to have him back. I've requested negotiations with a bunch of other announcers (Jim Ross, Larry Matysik, and Bob Caudie) as backup plans, and if any of them are willing to work for much cheaper, I'll consider burning my bridges with Russell and firing him. That will be tough to do however, as Russell is the best in the business - A+ ratings in Mic Skills, Charisma, Announcing, "A" rated Respect, and "B" rated Star Quality.

-The AWA has signed former WCCW Cruiserweight Champion Buddy Landell, Tiger Conway Jr, and Scott Irwin.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote