molson
General Manager

WCCW: Summer Nights
Wednesday, Week 4, June 1985
Dallas, TX (Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 4,350 Ticket Prices: Default
Actual Attendance: 3,331

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Charlie Cook drew with Mark Youngblood in 10:00 when the time limit expired. (D)

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Villano V defeated Dusty Wolfe in 5:55 by pinfall. (E+)

-As the show starts, David, Kevin, Kerry, and Mike Von Erich come to the ring and cut a lengthy promo. They first generally thank the fans for their support over the years. Then, each make individual comments. Mike hypes his Cruiserweight Title defense against Ricky Morton at this Saturday's June Star Wars. Kevin expresses appointment that he and Kerry lost the tag team titles to The Sheepherders last week, but that he's hopeful that they can regain the gold soon. Kerry hypes his parking lot brawl match with Michael Hayes this Saturday. Kerry said that he understands why the Freebirds hold a grudge against him for refusing to side with them last summer, but he says its time for both groups to move on - and Hayes will learn that the hard way at June Star Wars. Kerry also states that he was hoping that either Terry Gordy or Buddy Roberts would show up tonight so he could challenge either to a "tune-up" parking lot brawl. However, neither are here, so Kerry will take on the man who he faced in a tag team match last week, and a man who has repeatedly aligned himself with the Freebirds, Nikita Koloff. David hypes his World Title defense against The Masked Superstar at June Star Wars. David admits that he's concerned, since The Masked Superstar proved to be a tough opponent at Parade of Champions, and this time, The Masked Superstar won't have to wrestle 3 matches before he faces David. (C)

-Mark Rocco defeats Frank Dusek in 5:43 by pinfall. (C-) After the match, Rocco hyped his match at June Star Wars with Johnny Saint, the fellow Englishman he has wrestled to several time limit draws in recent weeks. Rocco notes that at June Star Wars, the two will have 30 minutes to determine a winner. (E+)

-Johnny Saint defeats Don Bass in 7:50 by pinfall. (C). After the match, Saint cuts a promo hyping his match at June Star Wars with Mark Rocco. (D-)

-Lance Russell interviews WCCW Commissioner Lothario about the recent goings-on in WCCW. Of particular note, Lothario says Ricky Morton has no-showed tonight's event, and Morton hasn't returned his calls. Lothario says he has no choice but to take Morton about of the scheduled Cruiserweight Title match with Mike Von Erich this Saturday night at June Star Wars. Instead, says Lothario, Mike will defend his Cruiserweight Title against the winner of the Johnny Saint/Mark Rocco match that same night. (D-)

-Mr. Pogo & Mr. Saito defeat Owen Hart & Al Perez in 6:54 when Pogo pinned Perez. (C-). Perez was tiring towards the end of the match. Saito looked good.

-Non-Title Match
Mike Von Erich defeated Killer Tim Brooks by roll-up pinfall in 6:31. (C). Mike was visibly tiring toward the end of the match.

-Skandor Akbar comes to the ring with his client, Nikita Koloff, and hypes Koloff's upcoming match with Kerry Von Erich. (C+)

-Kerry Von Erich defeats Nikita Koloff (w/Skandor Akbar) in 9:37 by pinfall, despite interference from Koloff. (B)

-Lance Russell and Bill Mercer come to the ring and run down the announced card for this Saturday night's June Star Wars event (E):

-WCCW World Heavyweight Championship Match
David Von Erich v. The Masked Superstar

-WCCW Television Championship
Arturo Mendoza v. Kamala

-Parking Lot Brawl
Kerry Von Erich v. Michael Hayes

-Dory Funk Jr. v. Kevin Sullivan

-Mark Rocco v. Johnny Saint

-WCCW Cruiserweight Championship Match
Mike Von Erich v. Rocco/Saint winner

-Billy Robinson & El Halcon v. The Grapplers

-Big John Studd v. Baron Von Raschke

-Gary Hart comes to the ring with the latest formation of his Hart Limited stable: The Masked Superstar, Kamala, and Big John Studd. He hypes all of their upcoming matches at June Star Wars, as well as their Six-Man Tag Team match tonight against their June Star Wars opponents: WCCW World Champion David Von Erich, WCCW TV Champion Arturo Mendoza, and Baron Von Raschke. (C+) Hart hyped his recent managerial success in WCCW, and he says that some "idiot" fans are still coming up to him and disrespecting him by mocking his apparent mental illness of the past few months. Hart claims that when he dressed as an Elvis impersonator and played the guitar, he wasn't crazy. Instead, he was mocking the wrestling industry. What WCCW and the wrestling industry wanted him to be when he was down, claimed Hart, was a character, a gimmick, a joke. Hart claimed that while everyone thought he was "crazy", he was planning the resurrection of the empire that you now see before you.

-The Masked Superstar, Big John Studd, and Kamala (w/Gary Hart) defeat David Von Erich, Arturo Mendoza, and Baron Von Raschke in 14:48 when Kamala cleanly pinned Raschke. (B+) Mendoza looked good.

Overall Show Rating: B-

THOUGHTS:

-This show was going nowhere fast until it was saved by the last two matches. The show was an attendance disaster, however, and I don't know why.

-The heels get the clean win in the 6-man tag going into June Star Wars in a very solid match. I wanted to position The Masked Superstar as a real threat to David Von Erich, Kamala as the favorite in his TV title match against Mendoza, and Studd as younger and stronger than Von Raschke.

-Before that, Gary Hart hyped his stable, and also vaguely explained away his gimmick "psychosis" of the last few months. That was just the official disassociation with that gimmick. Whether or not he's telling the truth that it was some kind of political statement, he's back to being the Gary Hart of old.

-I was hoping to run Kerry v. Roberts in some kind of brawl tonight to hype Kerry v. Hayes at June Star Wars, but Roberts was booked by the AWA. The AWA won't be running a show this Saturday, fortunately.

-I realized Ricky Morton will potentially be booked elsewhere, with ACW, this Saturday night, so I needed to pull him out of his title shot against Mike Von Erich that night. I haven't decided whether to explain his absence, however I've decided HOW to explain it, if that's the way I go.

-The Englishman v. Englishman Saint/Rocco feud isn't very compelling for the Texas fans, but I feel like both of these guys have some potential to be good, cheap talent once the fans here get to know them. So they're getting a lot of ring time, and one of them will get a cruiserweight title shot this Saturday night.

-All in all, a pretty bland show, but that's kind of the goal during this summer hiatus from TV. Also, we saved a lot of money here by not using Inoki, Sullivan, or Funk.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote