View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 08:09 PM   #7732
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, an opinion piece on something many of us have asked ourselves

Am I a jerk for getting a COVID-19 vaccine if I feel healthy and work from home? - MarketWatch
Quote:
Eli Karp, a 20-year-old student in Evanston, Ill., has already received his first dose. He didn’t feel comfortable sharing the news on Facebook, however. “It’s weird to see someone my age get it when there are a lot of people who can’t,” said Karp, whose body-mass index (BMI) score made him eligible in his state. “Even though I got it completely legitimately, there’s lots of vaccine jealousy out there, and I’m not on [social media] to foster that,” he said.
:
:
At this point, the ethicists MarketWatch spoke with agree that it’s important to just get shots in people’s arms right now — especially after President Joe Biden pledged last week that all U.S. adults will be eligible for vaccines by May 1.

“If you cut in line, I don’t like it, I’m not happy about it, but I think you’re only delaying somebody else’s vaccine for weeks at this point,” said Dr. Caplan. “It’s very important to get vaccinated. It’s probably less important if you’re 20 and in good health than if you’re 70 and obese and have a bunch of other diseases, but nonetheless, it’s important to be vaccinated to protect others who you come in contact with from getting sick. So I’m not going to criticize anyone for taking whatever steps they can.”

Still, there are some moves that are clearly wrong, such as misrepresenting yourself by lying about your medical history, or pretending to live in a city or state to qualify. For example, when a vaccination site was opened in Washington Heights in upper Manhattan specifically to serve the local, largely Hispanic community, there were reports of people driving down from the suburbs of Westchester to take advantage of the ample appointment slots and short lines.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote