View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #4529
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If the solution is requiring them to have a college degree on a subject and paying $30k more a year, than so be it.
I brought this up a few years ago in this thread, and still believe it to be a part of the solution. We want our officers to be professionals, but we neither pay them like professionals nor require schooling like professionals.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - FBI Opens Investigation into Shooting of Michael Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
This resonates with a post I made a couple of months ago...
I suspect that a big issue is that we expect/demand street cops to be "professionals," yet the payscale is in a problematic space. It's too low to attract many on a true "professional" career track. But it's high enough that a 20-year-old with a G.E.D.* can make *significantly* more money than he could doing anything else.

**--YMMV on the details, depending on the state you're in, but my recollection is that in one of the states I checked 2 months ago when I made that post, they will accept a 20-year-old with a G.E.D. into their Academy. None of the handful of states I checked required more than a hs diploma.