View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 04:57 AM   #5216
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
The question you're posing, at the time you're posing it, is a decently common alt-right playbook move to distract from discussion that could lead neutral people to see things happening in the world, see reasonable discussion about it, and shift their political views left. A nazi can't come into a discussion spouting nazi shit and win people over. A nazi can come into a discussion and pretend to be "just asking innocent questions" and playing what-if games that serve to move the goalposts away from the events/discussion at hand, or to try to create confusion/dissent where there otherwise wasn't any.

I think this is frankly just absurd. We are not, in any reasonable measure of such things by forum standards, in the wake of the Breonna Taylor shooting. The last comments about that case in the thread were on September 28th - and that was basically a one-off about grand jury info, most of the discussion had wrapped up almost a week before that. Not to mention that my attempt to productively participate in said discussion was completely ignored.

My question came on October 8th, or two weeks after these events had ceased to be a significant topic of conversation. You can't be a distraction from a topic that isn't even being actively discussed. If that's not long enough of a waiting period, how long does it need to be? Two months? Six? A year? It's not as if there won't be fresh outrages between now and then. If you can't ask a probative question with that much time, then you really can't reasonably ever ask it - not to mention how wrong it is to go around assuming the motives of people for doing so in the first place. As I mentioned, I've posted here for years. If people think I'm an alt-right plant - me, who has said he plans on voting Democrat this year, has been against Trump from day one, who has years of posting on this board and has repeatedly rejected pretty much everything they stand for and is overall a moderate at the present time in my approach - then it's truly a waste of my time to spend two seconds concerning myself with what someone whose perspective is so skewed from any reasonable understanding of the facts involved is going to twist what I'm saying into.

It's not so much that I'm surprised - it's rare that discussion around here really surprises me. It's more that I'm not going to walk around on pins and needles worrying about how someone might flagrantly and totally unjustifiably misinterpret what I'm saying and then beyond that, assume the worst and overreact to that misinterpretation and assumption. There are some things you just can't control. I wanted to get down to core assumptions because it's clear there are some I don't share with the rest of the board and I want to understand those differences. If it's just the case that people don't even want to engage with what those core assumptions are and/or discuss them for the most part - I appreciate those who did reply - then that's sad. It also means the unilateral death knell of any hope at discourse on the side of those unwilling.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-10-2020 at 05:28 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote