View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 09:44 AM   #61
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I was going through the election results to see if there were any other interesting tidbits. First thing I noticed was the Speaker of the House, Fiorella La Guardia, didn't run for re-election. We were getting a new speaker anyways since we now control the house.

And speaking of which, I was looking into the rules for the Speaker election, and if I'm interpreting the rules correctly, I have the only two candidates eligible to run for both Speaker and House Majority Leader. If so, I've decided Sam Rayburn will be Speaker, and Cordell Hull will be House Majority Leader. My reasons are that the Speaker has a chance of getting the coveted kingmaker trait, which Hull already has. Also, Rayburn's seat is safer than Hull's, and having a Speaker lose an election is an absolute killer on the score.

Unfortunately, the Republicans still control the senate. This one will be trickier to keep Hayden in the Senate Minority Leader position. There are only three eligible candidates; Hayden, Senate Minority Whip Robert Wagner, and my nemesis Huey Long. Long is definitely positioning himself for a presidential run, and will pull out all the stops to win. Since I should control the house, I plan on offering juicy committee leadership positions to the other factions in exchange for their votes for Senate Minority leader. All's fair in love, war, and politics.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote