View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
One question is whether Steam is even still interested in indie developers, given Newell's comments about moving away from Greenlight. This could simply be a waste of time and money.

As are as whether they are still interested in indie developers, I would have to say yes, there is still a slew of new stuff coming out on steam on a weekly basis that is from indie developers. Now as far as time and money, that is something that you would have to answer because I do not know what is all involved to Greenlight a software product. Probably best to ask the developers on the board (Mark and Brian) would have had their products placed on Steam.

Quote:
Another question is whether Steam is useful for a product that's already a couple of months old.
This does not matter. There are games on Steam that and years, even decades old so a few months will not hurt you.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm interested in arguments pro and con.
As far as pros, you will have more of an audience to your game and since you already have a number of members on FOFC, just rating the game alone can give it more exposure for those who are on the fence. Since you are in a niche market and there aren't any other football sims like this game on Steam, then you would have a leg up on those that may follow.

The cons I see only comes with those games they call Early Access. If you ever go to Steam and are about to release another version, I would avoid Early Access because people already feel this is a gamble. The only other con I see is if you are not the first true American football to be on Steam first, your game will be compared to the first one that does.