View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Thanks for the input. The blog about the Android port is particularly interesting.

Since the EA days, I've had remarkably consistent opening weeks. FOF7 opened a little below what I'm used to (maybe 90% of what I'm used to), but caught up through Christmas. But the wane has been a lot quicker. Of course, this is the latest in the year I've ever released a new product, and FOF has always sold better in-season than out. My guess is that 90% of past results is what I can expect moving forward.

I'll never get rich that way, and I'm only still in business because I banked most of what EA sent me (it's too bad we lost our Madden deal, because then I would be set financially), but as long as I don't buy a lot of toys, I can probably keep at this at least another couple of years.

It's hard to say what Steam could do. People wait for the sales, so I'd have to enter the market at a price where a sale would still be at a reasonable cost. Steam takes a higher percentage, too.

So one big question is whether having a text sports sim on Steam - one with bare bones graphics - can increase my sales to where EA had them for a couple of years. I'm OK with a sale price around $20 or so if that's the case.

Another question - is Steam a little like a country club? Right now, there's no way I can call my buddy Gabe on the phone and get his advice and support. But if they let me in, is it a more interactive process? Like they'll feature me if I put on a sale coinciding with training camp opening? Or is this still largely out of my control?

I also worry about my own role. I'm sure you've noticed by now that I'm not comfortable with the PR side of my job. I get what I need to do, but sometimes I just don't want to do it. The good thing I discovered when I bore down and got FOF7 done is that I'm still a capable programmer. The muscles I let go for a time built up quickly. It's all still in my head, and, really, another few years of experience have made a positive difference.

The bad thing is that I'm still remarkably lazy about PR and I have a harder time than ever going into a new arena and asking for attention. If someone tells me I suck, my internal reaction is always going to be, "well, I probably do suck, so why fight about it?" I'm more a business-side behind-the-scenes guy than a front man. Realizing all this, I know I need a business manager or an agent more than anything, but I have no idea how you get a good one without giving up a high percentage of the revenue. And, as stated before, I can make Solecismic work solo if I don't buy many toys, but there isn't enough to share.

So I know I need to work on a video if I'm going to start the Greenlight process, and I'm reacting to that with my usual lazy attitude - a sure sign that I really don't want to do this. Hopefully I can push through it and create something decent. And then we'll see where we are. I figure with the off-season a month old, there's never going to be a better time to start a Greenlight.