View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #83
revrew
Team Chaplain

CHAPTER 18: Back in the Saddle and Off His Rocker

The deadline for Jeffrey Davis' payoff to the Family came and went. Not only did Jeffrey not pay, he didn't show. Anywhere. Davis had disappeared and left no forwarding address.

When I filed my sale of 10% to Marinara Industries, Inc., however I got an urgent call from Commishioner Tagliabue. "Are you crazy?!" he shouted. "You can't sell 10%! That makes Jeffrey Davis controlling owner again. What happened? The Rebels were turning around; you have a model stadium; you're a step away from another SuperBowl; you--"

"Relax, commishioner. I still have controlling interest."

"What?"

"You're basing your assumptions on the premise that Jeffrey Davis still owns 48% of the team. That's simply not true."

"It is as far as the League office knows..."

"The League office doesn't know everything, now, does it? Davis not only doesn't own 48%, but very shortly, he may not own any percentage."

"Who will?" he asked.

"Yes. Will. That's the question. If Jeffrey doesn't have one, the League may have to make an interesting decision."

It took a moment for that to register with the Commish. "A will? As in a will and testament. Davis is dead?"

"No. At least, I don't think so. Not yet. But it's very possible he will be soon. Davis has made some very...shall we say, dangerous connections in an effort to regain control of the team. I suggest the League be prepared in the case Davis has bitten off more than he can chew."

"Mr. Wilson, I do not know what you're implying. But I can tell you, I don't like it. With such talk, you might expect a thorough investigation--"

"No, no, no, Commishioner! You don't understand. I, personally, have been conducting the affairs of the Rebels with the utmost ingegrity. But in my position, it's good to know what Davis has been up to. And I know that he doesn't hold the same level of integrity that I insist upon. I also know that he's gone missing." I gave that a moment to sink in. "Commishioner Tagliabue, I am simply suggesting, based on my knowledge of Mr. Davis' shady character, that the League be prepared should Mr. Davis no longer be in control of his stake in the team. I'm trying to help you, here, Commishioner."

"I, I, don't know what to say."

"You could say, 'Thank you. Thank you for you work in preserving the integrity of the League.' Or, you could just say, 'good bye.' Good bye, Mr. Commishioner." Then I hung up.

Oddly enough, as soon as I hung up the phone, I got another call--this time from Jeffrey Davis.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote