View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #85
revrew
Team Chaplain

Franklin and others--Thank you for your encouragement. Please remember me at the next Golden Scribes season. Now, on with the show...

"I guess I should be thanking you," Davis said when I answered the phone.

"For what, old friend?"

My remark gave him pause. I could just see his mind reeling back to when he earlier had called me "friend" with a sly sneer. Now it was my time to return the favor, and Davis was just beginning to recognize that something foul was afoot.

"Why, for returning controlling interest of the team to me, of course."

"Really? When did 24% constitute a controlling interest?"

"Twenty...how...but--"

"Or did you find a way to come up with the missing $13 million? Get lucky at the dog track, did you? Been playing some high-stakes hold 'em?"

"You know more than you should," was Davis' response.

"Yes, I suppose I do. But when, exactly, does Marinara Industries Incorporated take control of your other 24%? Has the transaction already happened, or are you still anticipating the pain? Just out of curiosity, you know, are you the majority owner right now? I mean, should I call you 'sir' again, just for old times' sake?"

Davis' mind was beginning to put the pieces together. "Marinara. That's how you know. The Family has been in touch, those dirty double-crossers. I should have known better than to work with a Yankee family."

"Right. The organized crime families in Atlanta are SO much more dependable," I quipped. "So back to my question. When's the transaction?"

"I really don't have anything more to say to you at this time, Kendall."

"Oh, quick! Before you go, do you have a phone number or a forwarding address I can reach you at? I noticed you weren't answering your email."

Click. Davis had hung up, but a few seconds too late by my estimation.

I pushed the button on my desk intercom. "Carmen? Were you able to complete the trace?"

Her sulty voice purred back, "Yes, Mr. Wilson. We know right where he's hiding."
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote