View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 07:33 PM   #88
revrew
Team Chaplain

After the bye, who should be our playoff opponent but our dear arch-nemesis? The game was close, as expected, but inside the two-minute warning, Marco Turtschin led the biggest drive of his career, capping it off with a touchdown pass that gave us the final score: Rebels win, 20-17.

Our second game was even closer. Once again, it was our veteran captains that refused to lose. Spencer Knowles rushed for 142 yards, Turtschin passed for 303, and we beat Dallas in overtime, 23-20. On to the Bowl!

Our victory over Dallas came at a price, however. We lost two key cogs in the Rebel machine to injury. Our leading receiver and the best fullback in football, Dave Chambliss, would not be able to play in the big game. Neither would NFL interception leader, CB Toby Porter. I reassured these two men that we would not be in this game were it not for them, and that a victory here would be just as much their victory as anyone else's, but they were understandably grieving their stint on the pine for this one.

The matchup was classic and greatly anticipated. The Chargers mirrored our squad with a pounding rushing attack, efficient passing, and a killer defense. San Diego was clearly the class of the AFC. The big difference between our two team? Turnovers. We led the league in turnover differential, while the Chargers found turnovers their stumbling block.

The game itself was a bone-crushing defensive battle. We sacked the Chargers five times, while they put the brakes on our rushing attack. There were 5 turnovers in the game, not because anyone was sloppy, but because the defenses were primed, poised, and positioned to take over the game. In the end, a kickoff return for a touchdown gave us just the breathing room we needed, an interception gave us the field position we needed, and the Rebels won, 27-16. Our monster DE Darrell Houston--who very quietly led the team in sacks fot he year--won SuperBowl MVP with his 2.5 sacks and 3 hurries.

18-1. SuperBowl champions, and without any of Davis' crazy restrictions. We did it! After the game, I broke down in tears--inconsolable joy and relief. I had proven that I could GM a team to the Lombardi under adverse circumstances, AND under normal circumstances. I had only one hurdle left to clear: GM'ing a team to massive profits in a three-year span. I just needed to stay alive, so I could enjoy the Rebels' fantastic success.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote