View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
Autumn
Head Coach

What I mean is that on death only the Mortician will learn anything about the dead player, whether they had a role, whether they were villager or witch. Only the mortician knows.

And yes, I know people here are very opposed to this. I played in that Rome game, and was actually just rereading that thread for other reasons - though I don't think role reveals was the issue there but lots of mechanics people weren't aware of.

I'd like to ask people to stretch a little. For instance I was reading the Werewolf threads at Boardgamegeek.com. For the most part every single game there (and there are multiple games going on at all times, it's big enough) has no role reveals upon death. Most play with some variation on the Priest (which I'm calling the mortician).

So, my point being it's very possible to play that way, it's at least as common as role reveals, if not more. Obviously it takes a different type of play, a different type of analysis. It adds another role who must decide whether to reveal or not. And it makes tough decisions for the wolves who also don't know whether a roled villager has been killed or not. Fake reveals are both more possible and more dangerous.

I could just go and play this kind of game at the bgg site, but as I read those games all I could think about is how our players would adapt to this kind of game. We've grown rather skilled at a particular kind of game involving vote analysis and testing reveals through lynches. There's still plenty of skill in this kind of game, but it will require people to think out a new strategy.

I knew people would be wary of this kind of game. I just hope we can give it a try.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote