View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #222
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Wed. January 5, 2022

Barclays Premier League
Reading (10-3-6, 33 points, 8th) vs. Dover (11-5-4, 38 points, 3rd)
The Madejski Stadium, Reading, UK

Betting Odds: Reading: 6-4 (Favourites) Draw: 2-1 Dover: 13-8
Past Meetings: 5W 0D 2L

Reading are the slightest of favourites at home today as they try to build upon a fine first half in Premier League play. They are getting balanced scoring up front, with the ever dangerous Hani Megahed's 13 goals in 20 appearances leading the team. Fellow striker Cees Duarte has 12 in 25 contests and two other strikers, Jay Rodriguez and Simon Church each have six apiece. That's a lot of goals. They've made it through to the Europa League knockout stages so they are enjoying Continental success as well and also moved on in the FA Cup after beating Leeds 3-0. Our first game against them this year was a 6-3 thriller of a win at home and I expect a lower scoreline today.

We have Andrea Rocca back and he's match fit but I'll put him on the bench today with the aim of bringing him in if necessary. He'll certainly start on the weekend though. Otherwise, we put a full strength side on the pitch today, with Shanon Andrea, Claudio Contreras and Ingo Wilke back as we go with a flat 4-4-2 counter mentality today.

Dover: 4-4-2 Counter
GK - I. Wilke
D - R. Gaucho, C. Contreras, R. Hamon, S. Loucif
M - A. Bamba, Mancini, N. Cairney, G. Bolis
S - S. Andrea, Z. Bardi
Bench - J. Varga, J. Kuciak, P. Tjiuoro, A. Rocca, A. Zubizarreta, C. Murray, G. Gesios

Reading come out in a flat 4-4-2 as well with Megahed and Rodriguez up front. Against my better judgement, I go with my assistant's team talk to do it for the travelling supporters.

1' - We force a turnover after Reading control the opening kick off and it's Andrea breaking in. His shot is stopped by Reading keeper Antonio but the rebound pops right to Zoltan Bardi. He's got an open net…and SHOOTS WIDE. Ouch!

3' - It's going to be like that, is it? Lots of action early, just like in our last game, as Reading midfielder James Gregan sends a rocket off the crossbar and it bounces away to safety.

6' - Oh boy. Shanon Andrea is taken down at midfield and is hurt. He has the dreaded "+" and needs to come off. Not good. Giorgos Gesios comes into the game.

21' - We show great ball movement, with a number of passes leading to Zoltan Bardi springing Gesios. He's in on goal but shoots right at Antonio and it's an easy save.

23' - Gesios again gets sent in and his left footed shot is turned aside by Antonio. Nice save there.

42' - Renato Gaucho gets hurt and needs brief treatment. Looks like he'll be okay.

HALFTIME - We're controlling play nicely, with 56% of possession and a 10-4 (5-0 on target) shot advantage. We just need to finish one of these great chances we keep getting. I tell the team I'm pleased and don't make any tactical changes.

57' - Zoltan Bardi makes a splendid cross field pass into the box to a streaking Gesios but he's in too close and Antonio is able to push the ball behind the goal. Nothing comes from the corner.

We take out Mancini and bring in Andrea Rocca.

71' - Cairney gets a great opportunity off a cleared corner but his curling blast is stopped by a diving Antonio.

80' - Aitor Zubizarreta comes on for Gianluca Bolis.

85' - Gregan with a rocket from the edge of the area and Wilke pushes it above the bar.

Antonio was just too good for Reading today.

Reading 0 - 0 Dover
Goals -
Assists -
Man of the Match - Antonio (Reading GK - 7.4)
Other Dover Notables - Salim Loucif (7.1), Rayane Hamon (7.3), Renato Gaucho (7.4), Neil Cairney (7.2)
Attendance - 19,801

We deserved three points here but will have to take a draw. We held 55% of overall possession and outshot them 16-12 (8-3 on target).

-- As expected, the news is terrible on leading scorer Shanon Andrea - he tears a hamstring, our THIRD torn hammy of the season, and will miss around three months. Man…at least Gesios is starting to fire on all cylinders again.

-- Liverpool beat struggling Middlesbrough and that moves them ahead of us by two points on the table, dropping us to fourth.

Dover Injury Update

-- We lose our top scorer and get another striker back. Wayne Rooney returns to full training after HIS hamstring injury but will need a lot of time to get back to full fitness.

Future Transfers IN

-- Le Mans FC striker Orlando Scolari, an Argentinian, comes to terms with our club on a Bosman contract. He'll need a work permit and the deal won't go through until after the season is over but the 19 year old will be a nice depth addition and a likely loan candidate next year.

-- We sign another striker on Bosman terms, this time Mexican 20 year old Rogelio Garcia from Porto. This 6' 3" lad also will require a work permit and if it goes through, we'll welcome him in the offseason.

-- After inquiring about Rayane Hamon earlier in the week, now Man City are sniffing around my 17 year old midfield prospect Emmerson Harvey. He's not for sale either!

Next Up

-- We host Wolves at Crabble Athletic Ground in Premier League play.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 02-17-2014 at 09:03 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote