View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #119
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Breaking Bad had many similar elongated "lay it on thick" scenes. I always enjoyed them, and still do, but I can definitely see them coming across as being a bit much.

I guess the difference was when Breaking Bad did stuff like that (which would be approximately defined as "the show already did a good job through more subtle directorial/writing/acting cues of letting you know what a character was thinking or feeling, but then they throw in a monologue or flashback to make it 100 percent clear"), it tended to result in really memorable stuff like Jesse talking about the box he made, Mike's "half measures" speech, or "I did it for me."

To me, the Breaking Bad parallel to that bingo scene would be like if there was some extended monologue or flashback that, at the expense of the main story, detailed the exact circumstances that led to Walter White leaving Gretchen and Gray Matter behind.

I didn't hate the scene - it was very much in line with Odenkirk's absurd Mr. Show humor - but the finale was the only episode that felt more "pretty good" than "really good."
nol is offline   Reply With Quote