View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #120
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I didn't hate the scene - it was very much in line with Odenkirk's absurd Mr. Show humor - but the finale was the only episode that felt more "pretty good" than "really good."

Agree here, and it was impossible for me to watch that specific scene without thinking of all of the slow burn, patient scenes that Breaking Bad did, it seems very much a Vince Gilligan thing. I wonder if I'd view it differently if I wasn't making that direct comparison. And like you say, its not bad at all, but...

And I wonder if it may be less about comparing the shows than the actors. Odenkirk is no Cranston, etc. He's good, and this is a first season and I realize I'm comparing a season 1 Better Call Saul scene to season 3 or 4 Breaking Bad, and that is as unfair as it could possibly get. I wonder how I'd judge a very slow burn scene with Jonathan Banks in this show instead of Odenkirk. But again, that would be impossible and unfair too, because how could I possibly watch such a scene, because "No more half measures, Walter"

I hope Chief Rum binge watches Breaking Bad before the next season of Better Call Saul Trying to avoid specific spoilers, seems fair to do so, would have used spoiler tags if I was going to say anything more than I did.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote