View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #1247
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm surprised Warren didn't have a better answer. I am same with the guy, I feel I gave up other stuff so I could save for college. I see merit in giving relief to borrowers for the better good (not necessarily straight out forgiveness) so hopefully she (and Sanders) have a better answer to what I am sure will be a repeated question in upcoming debates.

Elizabeth Warren Confronted by Father About Student Loan Plan in Iowa: 'Those of Us That Did the Right Thing Get Screwed?'
Quote:
Senator Elizabeth Warren got into a heated confrontation with a father upset over the Democratic presidential candidate's student loan debt forgiveness plan at a campaign event in Iowa this week.

A video showing the man engaging in the exchange with Warren was posted to a pro-Trump Twitter account on Tuesday. The man, who identifies himself as a father that paid for his daughter to attend college, appears to resent the idea of Warren's plan to forgive student loan debt that has yet to be paid.

"My daughter's getting out of school, I saved all my money, she doesn't have any student loans," the man asked Warren in the video. "Am I going to get my money back?"

"Of course not," responded the senator.

The man then became visibly upset, claiming that debt forgiveness for others would mean he got "screwed" because he had already paid for his daughter's tuition.

"So, you're going to pay for people who didn't save any money and those of us that did the right thing get screwed," said the man.

Warren disputed the man's assertion that he'd be "screwed" under her plan. The man insisted that he would be because his friend had spent money in different ways.

"Of course we did. My buddy had fun, bought a car, went on vacation," the man protested. "I saved my money. He made more than I did, but I worked a double shift... since my daughter was 10."

Warren did not respond to the comments but appeared to crack a smile, which further angered the man.

"You're laughing," said the man, before Warren denied having done so.

"Yeah, that's exactly what you're doing. We did the right thing and we got screwed," the man said before angrily walking off. Warren said she "appreciated" the interaction with the man as he walked away.

Warren has vowed to cancel student loan debt up to $50,000 for close to 42 million borrowers if elected president. The senator recently announced that she plans to fulfill the debt forgiveness promise, even without the approval of Congress, by directing the Department of Education to modify loans and eliminate debt.

Warren's student loan forgiveness plan differs based on income, with the highest earners being ineligible for forgiveness. Different schemes have been proposed by other 2020 Democratic presidential candidates. Senator Bernie Sanders proposes cancelling all $1.6 trillion of U.S. student loan debt, regardless of income.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-24-2020 at 01:06 PM.