View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #19280
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Made my way back to the town where I grew up today, for visitation at the funeral home. The dad of a friend from kindergarten (lifelong friend, but with a couple decades communication gap in the middle) passed after a couple of years of health issues, at the age of 81.

I stopped by my parent's house en route and as I was leaving my mother mentioned that my grandparents (i.e. her parents) knew and thought well of the father of the deceased.

I mentioned that to another old HS friend who was there and he pointed out that meant that our families had been connected in some way for over 100 years.

What drew me up a bit short about that was the realization that my son is unlikely to have a single person in his life outside of blood kin that he can say that about.

Maybe neither good nor bad, it was just something I'd never thought about quite that way before.

I have 19 first cousins, and most of them lived in the area in which I grew up. So it just felt normal to have lots and lots of extended family with deep roots kind of always around.

Then we moved. And it feels much more lonely and isolated here. My kids are growing up without the constant birthday parties and visits and millions of other things that I took for granted.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote