View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #719
Radii
Head Coach

-- Records are set! But not in a good way. 8 goals total in our 6-2 loss is a new Ipswich record for total goals in a match, surpassing a 4:3 loss to Sheffield Utd years ago in the Championship.

December 15th, 2018

Newcastle(8-6-2, 4th) @ Ipswich(2-2-12, 19th)

Newcastle are 1:2 favorites at our place today, we're 9:2 to get a win and 13:5 for a draw. Back in 09/10 Ipswich beat Newcastle twice in the Championship, but have lost 3 times since, 2-0-3 lifetime.

GK: Murphy
D: Kirkland/Fryers/Brown/McKerr
M: Adriano/Mariga/Donnelly/Berthet
AMC: Gordon
ST: Constantino

ST Edinson Cavani is their star striker with 11 matches played and 6 goals/2 assists. He came to Newcastle from Palermo for $30 million 2 years ago. In Seire A he had 9 seasons in a row with 10+ goals, scoring 15+ in 7 of those. AMC Marek Hamsik has 4 goals for them, as does AMC Vladimir Weiss.

I make a couple changes here today, giving Berthet a start at MR and Gordon at AMC. Kang has poor morale and has really missed some easy chances for us recently, I give him a break.

5': Midfielder Hamsik with a yellow for Newcastle.

11': We pass the ball around the left side, Donnelly centers it to Gordon between 20 and 25 yards out... he rifles a shot in, and its just wide right, a really strong shot for Gordon there, good try.

20': They take their first shot of the match, crowding the area but taking a tough shot from a tight angle to the left, Murphy saves it but can't hold, it goes behind for a corner. They get a header off the corner but its high.

29': We have a throwin in their end, its crowded down there, Constantino receives a pass but there's not much he can do, he passes to Berthet who shoots from 20 yards out, he finds a small opening in the defense to get the shot thorugh, but it sails left, pretty close there too.

35': Newcastle is up to 6 shots with 2 on target, they just put one wide from 25 yards out after a long buildup.

42': Midfielder Torric with a yellow fouling Gordon. Free kick is blocked and they win possession. They end up with a shot from 30 yards out but its way high.

HALF: Well the downside is that we took 7 shots but couldn't put a single one of them on target. The upside is that it felt like we really played a solid half, doing a good job forcing them to shoot from distance and clearing balls out of the area. This is where we usually fall though as these great teams just turn it on in the second half to beat us and there doesnt seem to be anything we can do about it. I drop back to straight defensive to start the second half.

48': They try to get their early goal here but midfielder Mata was very clearly offside on a through ball.

49': Berthet lobs a ball over the defense that Constantino gets to first, he can't get into the area but he makes a good run down the right to earn us a corner. They clear the corner but we get a throwin to try to build up again... Mariga settles for a really really long shot, its on target but not threatening.

57': Berthet with a yellow.

60': Having weathered a bit of an early storm I change back to counterattacking.

63': We dodge a bullet as Troy Brown misses an interception and allows one of their men to get a shot off in the area, but he ssent it way high.

66': Khan in for Constantino, Guarin in for Adriano.

76': And there it is, they build up and get it to star Cavani. He turns by Troy Brown *sigh we need better DCs*, he pulls up and fires from the edge of the penalty area and drills it into the left side of the net. 0-1

87': A long ball ahead to Khan, he's got two defenders all over him but he shows amazing control, he recovers the ball and pushes forward, making a move to skirt by one defender, he's into the area and takes a shot, keeper makes a good save. Khan gets to the rebound on the right sideline, he takes another shot from a near straight side angle, he puts it on target but its just too narrow an opening, keeper is able to stop it too. Great effort but that was a lot to ask.

That'll do it. We really played a solid match today, but we're just not good enough.

Ipswich 0 : 1 Newcastle

Their goal scorer is man of the match.

Notables: McKerr (7.1), Mariga (7.2)

Brown slumped down under 6 when he allowed their goal but he recovered to a 6.4 rating. Good try guys. I'm pleased with what I saw today really.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote