View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #748
Radii
Head Coach

The 6th round (quarterfinals) of the FA Cup are today. Should we somehow get by Aston Villa on the road we would host Blackburn, easily the best possible matchup available for us out of the final 8.

-- Sporting Moscow want to loan Kang Soo-Jin with an option to buy him. $850k for the loan and $5.25M if they wanted to buy him when it was over. I'm a little concerned that Kang hasn't settled in but I'm sure as hell not giving up on him yet.

February 20th, 2019

Everton(7-9-11, 14th) @ Ipswich(2-3-22, 20th)

We're 9:2 dogs today, they're 1:2 favorites at Portman Road. This is the type of match I feel like we can compete in with our improved play of late. I'd like to have our first string keeper, but whatever!

GK: Mason
D: Kirkland/Henrique/Fryers/McKerr
M: Guarin/Yebda/Mariga/Gordon
AMC: Kang
ST: Constantino

We've got 5 starters out (depending on whether you count Troy Brown a starter or not at this point). This is the best lineup we can field.

2': A nice attaching move out of the gate for us sees a good deal of buildup leading to a shot from Kang from the 18 yard line, but the keeper easily saves it.

7': Henrique goes for a tackle on their striker 20 yards out, he turns by and has the first clear cut chance of the match, but its right at Mason and he stops it. They get it back though and after resetting the offense striker Brian Kelly goes around Fryers for another clear cut chance... this one is wide.

24': Mariga blasts a shot from 25 yards out, off a defender and out, corner is cleared though. I've already issued the "work ball into box" instruction... Mariga loves his long shots though.

31': They work the ball forward but we intercept a pass, quickly it goes to Mariga, he sends it down the right side, Constantino is first to it, his first touch is beautiful, poking the ball ahead to the edge of the box, allowing him to sprint ahead for it... the keeper comes out, Constantino aims far post, and its perfect, into the net!! 1-0

Just one highlight the rest of the half, a long shot for them saved easily by Mason.

HALF: We know we're going to have to face a hellish attack in the second half but this is the kind of play I wanted to see coming into the season, we hold them off and get the quick counter attack goal. Course, we withstood a couple clear cut chances and they could be up 2-1, but still! We have 5 shots, 3 on target. They have 7 shots, 3 on target. Possession is even, we're tackling really well (78%) and winning over half our headers, which is better than we can say many games.

I open the second half in a defensive mindset and with the "Retain Possession" instruction. Lets slow this up a little and try to hold off their initial attack that we expect to come.

54': Mariga doesn't retain possession either. We have a throwin, he gets it 35 yards out and just turns and fires... its a decent effort, just wide, but come on dude!

65': Free kick for Gordon outside the right edge of the area, he crosses in, the keeper goes for the ball, but fumbles it... Zeki Fryers is there and he pounces, poking the ball into the net!!! 2-0

68': Oh man!! Their defense is passing it around looking to start moving up, Constantino sees a lazy pass though and jumps on it, charging forward to the edge of the penalty box, shooting, but the keeper came out well to cut off the angle and he can't score. Its wide for a corner which we can't do anything about.

77': Coutts in for Yebda, Khan in for a very tired Kang. We move up to a 4-4-2 with that change.

82': We have it on offense, Khan goes forward but pulls the ball back instead of attempt a bad shot, a couple passes, Coutts to MAriga at the edge of the penalty area, he wheels and fires, and this one is on target!! It bends into the right side of the net, its a damn blowout!!!! 3-0

Well would you look at that.

Ipswich 3 : 0 Everton

Man of the Match: McDonald Mariga (9.1)
Goals: Mariga, Constantino (8.0), Fryers (7.9)
Assists: Mariga, Coutts (6.9) -- Fryers goal is unassisted, or it would have been credited to Gordon.
Notables: Mason (7.1), McKerr (7.6), Kirkland (7.8), Henrique (7.6), Gordon (7.0), Guarin (7.2)

Only Yebda and Kand are under 7.0 today out of the starters.

-- Blackburn fire their manager after the match, I'm expected to be a top choice, I deny that I have any interest.

-- With that win we move back into 19th place. Sadly we're still 12 out of a spot that would avoid relegation with 10 to go. I would totally get excited about trying to go on a run to end the season... except our next 4 in a row are on the road and our final 5 matches of the year are Arsenal, Man City, Aston Villa, Liverpool, and Newcastle. so if any sort of magic is to happen, it best happen now.

But hell, that was a fun and spectacular win and we're gonna enjoy it regardless.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote