View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #1096
Radii
Head Coach

2024-25 Florida State Roster

Point Guards

PG Dedric Modica - SR - 5'11" 166 lbs - 79 OVR (+3)

92 speed/89 quickness. 82 defense/78 steals. 87 hands/84 passing. 86 close/72 med/83 3/82 off the dribble. Average awareness (74 off/72 def). Average athlete at best. Modica's job on this team will mainly be to not get in the way, and hit a 3 pointer every so often. He's not bad but after Forte/McClurkin this is a really big dropoff at the position. I would be a lot happier if his on ball defense was 3-4 points better.

PG Alando Carlisle - RS FR - 6'5" 195 lbs - 76 OVR (+3)

90 speed/76 quickness. 87 defense/68 steals. 82 hands/82 passing. 77 close/72 med/83 3/82 off the dribble. Average awareness(74 off/74 def), slightly above average athlete(82 vert/66 str/76 hustle, all B-). Carlisle gained 3 points to his overall ratings during his redshirt year. I've never seen him on the court so we'll see how his shot looks and how effective a 3 point shooter he is. His job this year is just to get some experience and, like Modica, hit some 3's and not screw anything up.

PG D'or Devonish - FR - 5'11" 168 lbs - 76 OVR - REDSHIRTING

93 speed/79 quickness. 82 defense/75 steals. 87 hands/85 passing. 80 close/80 med/75 3/80 off the dribble. 65 off awareness(C)/77 def awareness(B). C+ potential. With Devonish and Carlisle we've got too PG's who will probably be good by the time they are upper classmen but are not ever expected to be special players. They look pretty similar, which could lead to some interesting competitions for the starting PG job down the road. Carlisle has a big edge due to on ball defense, though in the end something like 3 point stroke animation could decide who starts.

Shooting Guards

SG Prosper Day - RS SR - 6'3" 220 lbs - 85 OVR (+3)

88 speed/86 quickness. 84 defense/84 steals. 93 close/80 med/91 3/88 off the dribble. Awareness is severely lacking, espicially for a senior. 69 off/73 def. Very good athlete (84 vert/78 str/88 hustle... B/B+/B+). On a team without Roberto Mayer, Day would be a huge go to guy who might score 20/game. He is an incredible shooter, and will take more 3 pointers than anyone on the team this year, probably by a lot. He's streaky, though he shot 37.7% from 3 last year in 209 attempts, that's pretty damn good. He's good when he attacks the rim too, just not as good as Mayer, so he does so less often. The option is always there though. 11 ppg last year, I expect anywhere from 10-14 ppg this year out of him.

SG Theo Porter - RS SO - 6'6" 226 lbs - 84 OVR (+4)

87 speed/91 quickness. 80 defense/72 steals. 91 close/82 med/89 3/81 off the dribble. Great leaper(94/A vert), good strength for a guard (70/B), doesn't hustle much though. Poor off awareness/good def awareness(66/78). Porter will likely spend the year training defense and awareness. He's not very good attacking the rim at all (just 80 handling ability, pretty poor for a guard, which seems to factor a lot in the ability to blow by defenders, despite his great quickness). This means he's pretty much a jump shooter, but he's a great jump shooter. 41% from 3 last year, he has the potential to carry the team from the 3 point line any time he's on the floor. He needs to add to his defensive ability before he becomes a starter though. 6.8 ppg last year, maybe he gets more this year as Modica/Black graduate up to the starting lineup.

SG Gregg Maye - FR - 6'3" 191 lbs - 78 OVR - REDSHIRTING

85 speed/81 quickness. 82 defense/74 steals. 83 close/79 med/87 3/78 off the dribble. Not much of an athlete at all (C+ vert/B- str/C hustle), but his awareness is better than our other two SG's. 77 off/74 def. He is pretty raw really. His ball handling needs work(79/C), and he doesn't create his own shot off the dribble as well as our other guards. But he comes in with solid awareness and a 3 point stroke, B- potential as well, so I expect him to be rated over 80 OVR as a freshman next year and to contribute solidly for 4 years.

Small Forwards

SF Roberto Mayer - RS JR - 6'7" 245 lbs - 88 OVR (+3)

Mayer coming back instead of going to the draft takes this team from 'fighting for a tournament bid' to 'final four contender'. 88 speed/77 quickness. 85 defense/70 steals. 92 close/81 med/83 3/80 off the dribble/89 in traffic. 80 vert/68 str/98 hustle. 81 off awareness/75 def awareness. Great dunker, very good clutch scorer. Rebounds, posts up, and blocks shots as well as some bigs (80 orb/77 drb, not great but solid SF numbers). Mayer does everything well. Against lesser opposition 30 points/game is almost guarenteed, and against great teams he almost always finds a way to get 20 and has at times carried us nearly singlehandedly no matter how good the team on the other side is. Averaged 20.6 ppg as a soph, will get more this year.

SF Patricio Dearman - SO - 6'7" 215 lbs - 79 OVR(+2)

81 speed/82 quickness. 87 defense/71 steals. 85 close/77 med/75 3/81 in traffic. Solid athlete, solid but not spectacular awareness(76 off/73 def). I really like Dearman, but I'm glad he won't be starting quite yet. He's a big guy who can shoot the 3 when left open, and he can be devastating near the basket and in transition at times. But he's not nearly as consistent as I'd like him to be yet. Another year of development and he should be a very solid 2 year starter for us.

SF Ashton Naymick - RS SO - 6'7" 201 lbs - 79 OVR (+3)

Naymick is he first guy I look at and have no idea what to do with him. 82 speed/79 quickness. 77 defense/72 steals. 84 close/85 med/75 3/82 in traffic. Ok athlete, C+ vert/B str/C+ hustle. poor in the post. 68 off awareness/74 def awareness. His offensive numbers are intriguing and I'll try to find time for him here and there just to scope him out, but Dearman is a proven entity. Also Dearman's on ball defense is 87, Naymick's is 77. Naymick would have to be some kind of offensive stud to overcome that difference.

Power Forwards

PF Haminn Millar - SR - 6'9" 238 lbs - 85 OVR (+2)

87 orb/88 drb. 76 blocks. 85 post off/76 post def. 86 close/91 in traffic. Very good str(82), good leaper and hustle too. Great dunker, very very good in the clutch(79/B+). 85 off awareness/76 def awareness, giving us a coach on the floor. Millar has been in the lineup for his rebound numbers more than anything, but this year we're going to look to him on offense a little more often. Last season,if I wanted to go into the post I *always* wanted to find McCants. This year I expect a more even mix and more scoring out of Millar. Just 4 poitns/game last year(and 6 rebounds). Expect both of those to go up.

PF Trace Devonish - RS FR - 6'7" 246 lbs - 76 OVR(+2)

78 orb/80 drb. 79 post off/76 post def. 86 blocks. 91 close/85 in raffic. Good athlete (81 vert/76 str/77 hustle). Terrible, terrible awareness. 66 off/61 def. A- potential so hopefully now that he'll be getting on the court he can improve more, but I fear the possibility that Devonish ever is forced into the starting lineup. his rebound numbers and post skills are truly subpar for this level.

Centers

C Maynard Black - RS SO - 6'10" 244 lbs - 83 OVR (+3)

85 orb/93 drb. 85 post off/85 post def. 84 blocks/77 steals. 95 close/87 in traffic. Great athlete (70 vert/82 str/75 hustle... A-/A-/B-). His stamina is noticibly terrible, only 73, that's the lowest on the entire team. 74 off awareness/66 def awareness. His rebound and post numbers look great, he should be an offensive threat for me and should make the loss of McCants easier to bear, but, his awareness and stamina are huge glaring problems. B potential, so hopefully if I work on conditioning it will help a lot.

C Samuel Jolly - SO - 6'7" 231 lbs - 81 OVR(+2)

80 orb/85 drb. 89 post off/78 post def. 78 blocks. 84 close/88 in traffic. 87 str(huge A), 78 off awareness/81 def awareness. Jolly has a lot going for him, but he's small compared to what I want at center. He'll be the backup this year and very likely start at PF next year when Millar leaves.

Starting Lineup

PG Modica
SG Day
SF Mayer
PF Millar
C Black

Backups

PG Carlisle
SG Porter
SF Dearman
PF Devonish
C Jolly

The starters look a little worse than last year, mainly because Modica is such a huge, huge Dropoff from McClurkin. But we've got Day and Mayer back so the starting 5 is formidable.

The backups continue to slide, and my worries about this team are the same that i had last year. I don't really have a big time defensive stopper in the starting 5, though Mayer is a solid on ball defender. And the backups, I worry about them getting run over and costing us in close games against good teams. Though this wasn't as big a problem last year as I feared. Porter and Dearman both have some explosiveness to them and in most games one of them will come up with some key plays for me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote