View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #23
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

1875-1876 Off Season

A letter from Washington owner, J. O’Brien Hickey to New York owner William Temple.

Mr. Temple,
I hope this message finds you in good spirits, for I fear I have rather fretful news to report. I find myself unable to raise the $5,000.00 bond our fellow owners have foisted upon us at the direction of Mr. McCormick.

Undoubtedly you know, our club was late with payroll on numerous times this past championship season, and while able to operate with the incoming capital of admission and road fees, I fear to post such a sum upfront means the end of the Washington team. In addition, our banker has not only refused to offer us another loan—indeed he is calling in the notes we have previously obtained to maintain the club as a viable enterprise.

As I know you fear domination of the league by Mr. McCormick as much as I do, I plead with you to forward us the sum necessary to secure the bond. As our park, and my personal residence, is already mortgaged—I only have my word as a gentleman the funds will be returned in due course. Hopefully a successful season on the field will allow us to turn a profit this upcoming year.

To enter our nation’s centennial without a club in the capital city would disgrace the Empire League. To allow McCormick to taint the game further with his so-called reforms would be even more damaging. Losing the Washington franchise would further tilt the balance of power towards the western faction.

Please let me know by wire when the funds could be transferred to us; this must be done immediately, as the rescheduled league meeting is less than two weeks out.

Sincerely,
J. O’Brien Hickey

Sadly for Hickey, Temple and Avery find themselves in a cash poor situation from not only raising the bond for their clubs, but for Hartford as well. Temple and Avery will attend the league meeting finding the Eastern faction another club smaller. James McCormick will use this opportunity to change the structure of the Empire League. William Temple and Mick Avery will not realize the magnitude of the changes for another season.
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote